How is my cycle coming along?

AnthonyA5059

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 7, 2026
Messages
72
Reaction score
27
Location
florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 gallon cube tank. Started with 10lbs of arag alive sand and Carib sea life rock. Once the temp and salinity was right I dosed the tank with dr tims ammonia to 2ppm then added fritz turbo start 900. Attached below is my daily log of the cycle. Note I was out of town days 7 and 8.

Essentially the ammonia and nitrite went to 0 by day 9 then I dosed the 2ppm ammonia again to do the test to see if it would be converted by 24 hours. It ended up failing that test and as you can see by day 11 today even 48 hours later it still has not been processed.

My plan was to wait until it is processed then do the 2ppm ammonia test again and repeat this until it goes away in 24 hours, then do my 50% water change and add my first fish. Is this the correct procedure for my situation?

IMG_7796.png
IMG_7797.png
 
You're cycled 🙂

You can slowly add some hardy livestock. Good luck!
 
You're cycled 🙂

You can slowly add some hardy livestock. Good luck!
I read though that you’re cycled once your tank can process 2 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours though. You think it’s ok that I didn’t pass that test?

I was planning on adding a pair of clowns first to my 15g cube after the 50% water change
 
I read though that you’re cycled once your tank can process 2 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours though. You think it’s ok that I didn’t pass that test?

I was planning on adding a pair of clowns first to my 15g cube after the 50% water change
Personally, I think you've already seen that your tank can process 2.0 ppm ammonia, but you are right, most suggest that you "test" the system, which is not a bad idea. Add enough ammonia to raise the concentration to ~2.0 ppm, and check again in 24 hours. If it's 0.25 ppm or less, you should be good to go 🙂

I hope that helps!

EDIT: I should have answered you're question more directly 🤪 Many test kits, including the API, often show 0.25 ppm ammonia when it's likely much less. For that reason, I'd say you passed your test and can move on, but you could test once more to be sure 🙂

I hope that made more sense 🙃
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new