How is ph so low?

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from my experience adding fresh air into the skimmer results in very little rise in ph.if your inside air is loaded with co2 the intake fresh air can not keep up with it.so I would not expect great gains by adding fresh air to the skimmer.you may want to look at co2 scrubbers if you find excess co2 using randy's method.

BluTang85

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yea I would def try a test such as Red Sea or salifert to really see if the ph is low and that way you know if your probe is reading bad. If it is that low, and you tried a few different methods and nothing works, try a marine buffer to increase the ph.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is that low, and you tried a few different methods and nothing works, try a marine buffer to increase the ph.

All buffers are alkalinity supplements, and you should never add them unless alkalinity is low. If you want to raise both pH and alkalinity at the same time, there are more effective solutions that give more pH boost per unit of alkalinity added. Hydroxide salts give the highest possible boost, followed by carbonate at about half the effect. Bicarbonate and most things called buffers have a very small pH boost to a small pH decline, and are not the best option.

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back