How is this adapter supposed to stay in place on VarioS 4 return pump?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a new return pipe for my tank and when I opened it up to put it together I was confused on how it is supposed to stay in place. The return line for the water has two adapters, one that screws in and another that slides into that one for use with a smaller return line hose. How is this piece supposed to stay in place without leaking? Am I supposed to silicone it or something? I am new to plumbing tanks so any help will be appreciated! Here are some pics of what I am looking at. The first pic is showing the piece that slides into the other piece, which then screws into the pump. It doesn’t make any sense cause it just slides in and out. The return hose I have is not wide enough to fit over the larger piece, unless I heat it up a lot and try to force it on. Thanks

604F78D6-A52A-431B-9B3B-B4BF705CD62A.jpeg 068864ED-0317-4E89-8A18-EF8F70029CE2.jpeg F93E6ECC-C142-4CB4-9F03-06D4B9965636.jpeg

afartindolphin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you unscrew the cap is the smaller one not a direct replacement for the bigger hose barb that's currently on there?

Silicone alone would not be enough for a long term connection.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you unscrew the cap is the smaller one not a direct replacement for the bigger hose barb that's currently on there?
No it has no rim around it like the larger barn does, so it just slides through the ring part. Do I need to buy something else for this to work? As you can see the one in the middle slides up and doesn’t move due to the lip it has around the edge.

image.jpg

afartindolphin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pvc cement maybe? Seems odd there's not another screw top that fits the smaller barb

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pvc cement maybe? Seems odd there's not another screw top that fits the smaller barb
Yeah exactly! I was so confused like how is it supposed to stay put. I would of thought the smaller one would just come with the same ring like the large one
@Biglew11 you think so? That has to be leak proof once glued correctly right? Is that the glue I should use for these types of pipes?

thanks you guys, I am trying to piece together my build and there are so many things I’m trying to figure out.

afartindolphin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The solvent will weld them together securely and as it seems you're doing some diy plumbing you'll most likely need some anyway. Don't worry about getting primer. The cheap pvc pipe cutters are a great investment, make sure to get some ratcheting straps to secure your hose to the barbs on both ends.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That PC cement is made for plumbing. As above said don't bother with the primer. You should get the cleaner though.
Clean both connectors apply some glue to both connectors and assemble with a slight twisting motion while connecting the two. Sets up in a few seconds.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The solvent will weld them together securely and as it seems you're doing some diy plumbing you'll most likely need some anyway. Don't worry about getting primer. The cheap pvc pipe cutters are a great investment, make sure to get some ratcheting straps to secure your hose to the barbs on both ends.
Replying to both you and @Biglew11 . Gotcha, okay I will get that glue at my local Lowe’s and put it together tomorrow, and yes I already have gotten some straps to tighten down the soft pipe to both ends of the pump and tank return pipe. So the pvc glue will elf them together and they will never come loose? I don’t need to add anything to it to hold it together?

also another question, with the Red Sea reefer pipes that come with the tank (when connecting them in the bottom of the overflow box) do I need to apply silicone or anything when connecting the pipes? Talking about the overflow, emergency drain and return pipes. Or they should be just fine the way they are, I haven’t seen anyone apply silicone for new tanks but for used ones I wasn’t sure if I should or not. I have seen some people apply silicone in some YouTube videos.

afartindolphin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people use silicone on threaded PVC joints to stop small leaks around the threads. The plumbing inside the overflow box itself doesn't need cement or silicone, but the pvc joints coming from the bottom of the box to the sump should be welded with cement. Not sure what the standard plumbing setup is for the Reefers below the box. All joints from your return pump need to be secure either barb and clamp or welded/threaded PVC. Avoid metal clamps for your barbs they will rust eventually.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back