I used fish toxic silicone, what to i need to do?

T4ylor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i only used it on the bulkheads and on one baffle in the sump over the top of original silicone where it was leaking which i realise now is not how you do it.

The only place it came in contact with the water was on the return line as it was used to seal the 90 fitting thread at the top of the return line.
Do i need to replace all my water and rocks?
Do i need to completely replace all the bulkheads incase the chemicals have leached into them?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All silicone is toxic to fish if it’s not cured. Never use silicone on a running tank. Why are you silicone fittings?

OP
OP
T

T4ylor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wipe it off. It's really no big deal.
other people are telling me i need to replace everything the silicone water has touched and especially the fittings the silicone has touched because it would’ve leeched into them

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
other people are telling me i need to replace everything the silicone water has touched and especially the fittings the silicone has touched because it would’ve leeched into them
There are people who need to go to the doctor every time they scrape an elbow. ;)
They should use some silicone on it instead. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

It's fine.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine. As others have said, wipe off the silicon. I don't think you need to replace anything.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why are people telling me i need to replace the plastic fittings they were on
You will find in Reefing that everyone has an opinion. What works for one person doesn't always work for another. You will have to ask them to answer that question. If it gives you peace of mind, then replace the plastic fittings.

OP
OP
T

T4ylor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because most people who offer advice in places like this online don't actually know what they are talking about and just want to feel important. Beginners trying to teach begginers
someone else had told me to use ethanol and vinegar to clean off the silicone and boil and soak the rocks multiple times over weeks

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
someone else had told me to use ethanol and vinegar to clean off the silicone and boil and soak the rocks multiple times over weeks
Definitely don't boil any rocks (Edit: at least not any that might be even remotely live):
with rocks from saltwater, I'd strongly recommend against ever boiling any of them; you never know what sorts of toxins (like palytoxin) could be sprayed into the air with the popping bubbles from the boiling process.
As mentioned several times by now, you're fine.

If it's bothering you too badly, run water changes and carbon, and you'll be fine.

OP
OP
T

T4ylor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reassurance. not of my rocks are live but i’ll just rinse most of them and run carbon

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back