I used uncured mildew inhibiting silicone on my bulkheads that came into contact with my water over a few hours.

T4ylor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive drained the water, and removed the silicone where it was applied.
This is my first tank and im new to reef keeping, what do i need to do to make sure none of the chemicals affect my tank?
ive been told on reddit to replace all my rocks and sand, replace the fittings the silicone was on and run carbon.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the silicone cured when you added water? If so you didn’t even need to remove it. If it wasn’t cured anything that didn’t die already will be fine.

OP
OP
T

T4ylor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was not cured the silicone had only been applied a couple hours before hand. i have no fish in and havent even cycled my tank yet so i have no livestock at risk. My tank was filled with rodi water for a test run before i mixed in the salt, therefore i want to know whether my rocks and sand are contaminated and need to be removed as the silicone on the website says harmful to aquatic life with long lasting effects. ps i have already drained the water

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was not cured the silicone had only been applied a couple hours before hand. i have no fish in and havent even cycled my tank yet so i have no livestock at risk. My tank was filled with rodi water for a test run before i mixed in the salt, therefore i want to know whether my rocks and sand are contaminated and need to be removed as the silicone on the website says harmful to aquatic life with long lasting effects. ps i have already drained the water

You’re fine. A million things to worry about with a new tank but this is not one of them.

OP
OP
T

T4ylor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really? i’ve been told by tons of people on reddit i need to remove every trace of where the silicone chemicals could have spread

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really? i’ve been told by tons of people on reddit i need to remove every trace of where the silicone chemicals could have spread

Yeah and almost half the country thinks the moon landings were faked, or 5um filters stop sub-micron viruses.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would you say is the minimum i need to do for it to be safe when i add fish?

Make sure salinity is good, no ammonia, temperature is correct, pumps and filters are in good working order. General tank cycling stuff.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back