How long did it take for your toadstool to open up

FlameangelLover

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 25, 2025
Messages
842
Reaction score
838
Location
detroit
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I bought my first coral and I was wondering how long does it take for them to start opening up and being how I saw in the store? I’ve had this toadstool for 48hrs
IMG_1445.jpeg
 
Provide decent flow and moderate lighting. I would move the piece up to an area of moderate flow. Sacrophyton are picky with regard to flow, not enough flow to remove the waxy coating on the crown and the polyps will not expand. If you don't see it start to open in a couple more days you should check chemistry and placement. It's not uncommon for a new coral to stay closed while acclimating.
 
Provide decent flow and moderate lighting. I would move the piece up to an area of moderate flow. Sacrophyton are picky with regard to flow, not enough flow to remove the waxy coating on the crown and the polyps will not expand. If you don't see it start to open in a couple more days you should check chemistry and placement. It's not uncommon for a new coral to stay closed while acclimating.
Thanks so much ! I will move to a more flow place
 
Provide decent flow and moderate lighting. I would move the piece up to an area of moderate flow. Sacrophyton are picky with regard to flow, not enough flow to remove the waxy coating on the crown and the polyps will not expand. If you don't see it start to open in a couple more days you should check chemistry and placement. It's not uncommon for a new coral to stay closed while acclimating.
omg i spoke to soon i took this pic at 9am and its now 11:30 and so many of its green tentacles are showing!!!!!
 
Be patient, days isn't unheard of. It's very uncommon but I've had toadstools stay closed for weeks.
omg i spoke to soon i took this pic at 9am and its now 11:30 and so many of its green tentacles are showing!!!!! Still not like how i bought it but you can def see something is happening
 
omg i spoke to soon i took this pic at 9am and its now 11:30 and so many of its green tentacles are showing!!!!! Still not like how i bought it but you can def see something is happening
Ha nice! post a pic!

I got a nice green tentacle one at a frag swap in Dec and it's doing really well. I've seen some "long" tentacle ones for sale that I'm wondering if I should try. For some reason I like having different variants of similar corals.
- long vs. short tentacle GSP
- Long vs. regular tentacle hairy mushrooms
- Big vs. small polyp zoas/palys
 
I've had my toadstool be closed for a couple days at a time only to open up and be perfectly ok
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new