How long do I let new corals adjust??

  • Thread starter Thread starter Acro Junky
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Acro Junky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2014
Messages
1,382
Reaction score
2,574
Location
california
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just got some new coral frags and in the past I have always let them adjust for a few days at a lower intensity in the tank. I am curious if that matters or not.

I recently acquired new acros and they are all coloring up very well, only 24 hours ish in the tank.

How long would you wait to add them to the rock structure

66CF3B58-907D-4C80-AD33-DF9CF2684FFB.jpeg
 
What lighting were they under before you bought them? any idea of intensity they were under?


I'd let them chill there for a few more days/light cycles, then gradually raise that frag rack up a day at a time and observe, after a few days of them being happy glue them to their new homes.

without knowing your lighting setup, I assume LEDs remember that making the jump to the fragrack off the side of the tank to the center can be a big jump in intensity as well.
 
I just got some new coral frags and in the past I have always let them adjust for a few days at a lower intensity in the tank. I am curious if that matters or not.

I recently acquired new acros and they are all coloring up very well, only 24 hours ish in the tank.

How long would you wait to add them to the rock structure

66CF3B58-907D-4C80-AD33-DF9CF2684FFB.jpeg
My acros go straight out of the bag to 300-350 par in my qt. Once I’m positive they’re pest free after a couple dips they get mounted in the display.
 
I think it depends on the lighting they’re coming from and the lighting they’re going into. But at a minimum I usually start low in the tank and move up over a few days. I don’t know if it’s entirely necessary, but it can’t hurt.
 
When adding to the main display (post quarantine and dip), I'll read up on forums and place the piece based on other hobbyists experience. I've had very few frags that needed to be moved slowly towards or away from the light, after initial placement, if I am putting them in the place (PAR and flow wise) they prefer from the beginning. Also believe it really benefits the coral, to not mess with it, once glued.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 25.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new