How long do I wait for zoas to open?

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a small frag of RDE's and one of Blue Orgasms from Aquarium Depot. They came in (May 17) REALLY cold, so following acclimation instructions from AD, I floated them for 2 hours, dripped for 1 hour, dipped in Coral Rx x 10 min, and put them in the bottom of my tank. The RDE's had opened completely within 24 hrs but the BO's never did. Now, 9 days later, the RDE's are looking great, but only 1 of the polyps out of +12 on the BO's looks like it's trying to open. The rest seem to be shrinking, or at least retracting. They do react when touched, but are looking pretty dismal. They are sitting at the top of my rock work about 9" below my light. When the lights come on this afternoon I'll snap a pic. I'm rather surprised, as all the other critters/coral I've gotten from AD have been top quality. My Morning Glories, RPE's, Actinodiscus, Ric's, and Devil's Hand are all doing well, so I'm not too concerned it's water quality.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a small frag of RDE's and one of Blue Orgasms from Aquarium Depot. They came in (May 17) REALLY cold, so following acclimation instructions from AD, I floated them for 2 hours, dripped for 1 hour, dipped in Coral Rx x 10 min, and put them in the bottom of my tank. The RDE's had opened completely within 24 hrs but the BO's never did. Now, 9 days later, the RDE's are looking great, but only 1 of the polyps out of +12 on the BO's looks like it's trying to open. The rest seem to be shrinking, or at least retracting. They do react when touched, but are looking pretty dismal. They are sitting at the top of my rock work about 9" below my light. When the lights come on this afternoon I'll snap a pic. I'm rather surprised, as all the other critters/coral I've gotten from AD have been top quality. My Morning Glories, RPE's, Actinodiscus, Ric's, and Devil's Hand are all doing well, so I'm not too concerned it's water quality.
You have the BO's at the top of your rockwork? Have you tried moving them down to the sandbed? It's possible they don't like the bright light. Following along for the picture this aft :)

OP
OP
Oldsalt01

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the BO's at the top of your rockwork? Have you tried moving them down to the sandbed? It's possible they don't like the bright light.
Yah. I was wondering about that. Gotta do a water change today, so I'll try that. I'll contact AD today and see what they say too.

OP
OP
Oldsalt01

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Apologies for the over exposures. Still haven't figured out my F-stops with my macro on so things are a little hot. You can see the Big center polyp is trying to open, but it's looked like that for several days now. The 2 polyps in the very front have actually shrunk from last night, so it may well be the light. Probably wont get to the water change til tomorrow, but I may try moving them tonight. Pic two are the RDE's, so you can see they look pretty happy.

BO1.jpg

RDE's.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back