How long for Lyretail Anthias to start eating after acclimation?

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some African Lyretail Anthias this morning, one male and two females. LFS said they were eating frozen PE Mysis. For evening feeding, they didn't take pellets that dispense from the auto feeder, so I threw in one block of frozen PE Mysis. The female's took a couple bites, but the male was not interested, even when it floated past his face. How long can it take before they will start eating regularly?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically give them 24 hours and then start to look at some sort of intervention....

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum, what type of intervention can be taken in making a fish eat?

Many people suggest using garlic or vitamin B12 to try and get fish to feed normally. I'm not a great proponent of that; if the fish doesn't feed normally after 24 hours, I start to look for other symptoms that could be the root cause of the problem. That said, you need to ensure that the food you are offering is the right size and the right type of food. If none of the three anthias are feeding, it may well be that the food you are offering simply isn't correct. If fish look at the food, or take it in and then spit it out, I wonder if the type/size of the food is incorrect. PE mysis may be too large - you could try chopping them up and then trying them. Live baby brine shrimp is a great starter food for anthias, but I understand that folks have issues with getting that.

Jay

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people suggest using garlic or vitamin B12 to try and get fish to feed normally. I'm not a great proponent of that; if the fish doesn't feed normally after 24 hours, I start to look for other symptoms that could be the root cause of the problem. That said, you need to ensure that the food you are offering is the right size and the right type of food. If none of the three anthias are feeding, it may well be that the food you are offering simply isn't correct. If fish look at the food, or take it in and then spit it out, I wonder if the type/size of the food is incorrect. PE mysis may be too large - you could try chopping them up and then trying them. Live baby brine shrimp is a great starter food for anthias, but I understand that folks have issues with getting that.

Jay
Thanks for the feedback. The frozen PE Mysis was thawed out in aquarium water and introduced into the tank. The female's did take a couple bites, especially the larger one, so I believe it's the correct type and size of food for these Anthias. I will monitor for another day or two and see if the largest of the Anthias, the male, will eat.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. The frozen PE Mysis was thawed out in aquarium water and introduced into the tank. The female's did take a couple bites, especially the larger one, so I believe it's the correct type and size of food for these Anthias. I will monitor for another day or two and see if the largest of the Anthias, the male, will eat.
The male, which was not eating, didn't make it through the night.

When I checked the tank at 11am, a crab had dragged him under the rocks I assume once he died. Are crabs predatory towards fish while they're alive? I don't believe the crab was the cause of his death, but I did see the crab kind of fighting with one of the females yesterday, I assume because the female was getting into the crabs territory in the rock.

Now there are two females left with no male, how long do I have to reintroduce a male before it becomes a problem? I do see a white patch that I did not see yesterday on the smaller female, which I assume came either from the crab I was talking about or the larger female.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some crabs can pull fish out of the water column, but most just scavenge dead or dying fish - what type of crab is it and how large?

I wouldn't get any new fish right now, as that new white patch bears watching.

Jay

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some crabs can pull fish out of the water column, but most just scavenge dead or dying fish - what type of crab is it and how large?

I wouldn't get any new fish right now, as that new white patch bears watching.

Jay
The crab is not huge (some pulsing Xenia) on the side for reference.
20200816_124949.jpg

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If both females make it one will start the transition to male. Once the two make it and are healthy I would only add females if you choose to add more.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss!
Sounds like the dead male was possibly sick, stressed or had some kind of trauma?

Fwiw,
I have always had good results using baby guppies to get a feeding response from new anthias. If that doesn’t do it, something is wrong, ime.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss!
Sounds like the dead male was possibly sick, stressed or had some kind of trauma?

Fwiw,
I have always had good results using baby guppies to get a feeding response from new anthias. If that doesn’t do it, something is wrong, ime.
Thanks, although I tend to agree that he was sick since he died in less than 24hrs.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If both females make it one will start the transition to male. Once the two make it and are healthy I would only add females if you choose to add more.
How much time do I have to introduce another male before one of the females starts to transition? I got a credit at the LFS for the dead fish and told them if they get another male in within a week or two to call me.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the smaller female now does not seem to be doing well. This morning when I fed frozen Mysis, the larger female ate, but the smaller just stayed under the rock work like this, came out after feeding a little, didn't get any food, and then went back into the cave.

Her skin also is white in some areas, doesn't seem like Ich. I'll try and get some pictures if possible.

Attachments

• 20200817_101115.mp4
    37.6 MB
OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some photos of the white spots, does this seem like its from fighting/bickering with the other female? Or is this something more to be concerned about?
20200817_104937.jpg
20200817_104947.jpg
20200817_104950.jpg
20200817_104952.jpg
20200817_105024.jpg

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like she's giving up, just sitting under the rocks now on the sand. Wondering if it would be worth it to try and scoop her out and put into a hang on QT box in the tank, or would that cause additional undue stress, although it would not be easy getting her from under there.

What's crazy is whatever is wrong with her is progressing extremely quickly.

Attachments

• 20200817_112710.mp4
    12.9 MB
OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last Anthia died. It also took 2 of my clowns down as well.

Now only have 1 fish left in the tank, a Sailfin Tang that is BEAST, not showing any signs of contracting the parasite/disease, assuming at this point it was Brook.

Assuming I set up a QT tank to take the Tang out and treat for brook/ich/etc., can I rid the DT of the parasites that caused the brook outbreak plus eradicating any others ie. Ich? How long?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back