How long is comfort seeking ok?

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two BTAs. One is a small RBTA and the other is a bit larger and green. The rose found a little hole in the rock and stayed there until the clowns found it. After that, it climbed out of its hole and moved front and center where the clowns could get to it easier. When the green BTA was put in two days later it circled the rock 2 times and finally settled in a rock, tucked in a hole. Last night, it went all the way under the rock and is just starting to come out. In y’alls experience, how long does it typically take a BTA to get settled? Or better yet, how long should I wait before getting concerned? I’ve learned my lesson abt messing with BTAs. I’m allowing these to find their own place. But I had one that refused to come out from under a rock and eventually died there. Any help would be appreciated!

Elizabeth

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, far more stress is introduced to an anemone if you move it around to where you feel it should be. If you choose to put one in a reef tank then it will go wherever it is comfortable. I would not try to mess with it and let it find it's happy place.
FWIW, the only time I would consider moving one is if it were heading for the intake of a pump or powerhead...

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, far more stress is introduced to an anemone if you move it around to where you feel it should be. If you choose to put one in a reef tank then it will go wherever it is comfortable. I would not try to mess with it and let it find it's happy place.
FWIW, the only time I would consider moving one is if it were heading for the intake of a pump or powerhead...
This one is in a dedicated nem/Clown tank so I’m not worried about getting in trouble with corals. And, so far he isn’t interested in leaving the rock although I know that could change any time. I plan on leaving him alone unless I have to intervene. I just don’t want him to hide and die like the other I had.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. Perhaps the one that died was sick and that is why it decided to seek shelter.. If there is light and the parameters are right, they will seek out the light at whatever cost.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one likes loosing their animals, no matter what they are...
Yea.... I always feel like poop when something goes wrong. I feel so responsible. My fish are like pets... they follow me around the room and come to the top if I stand close. I know they just want food but my chromis all swim into my hand and the Wrasse swims circles around my arm if I have to get into the tank for any reason.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back