How long is too long when pumps are off?

  • Thread starter Thread starter coraal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

coraal

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 10, 2013
Messages
186
Reaction score
36
Location
San Mateo, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been spot feeding my coral these past few weeks to see if it helps the growth of the coral and I usually turn the pumps off when I feed so that they can eat easier....

I was wondering about how long should I turn my pumps back on before it starts to harm the fish/corals in the tank... I can't get a good grasp of the time since I'm scared that the fish won't get any oxygen and so I turn the pumps back on but the corals aren't done eating yet...

Any feedback would be nice, Thanks
 
They'll be fine for a couple of hours, but realistically everything should be done eating within 15-20 minutes or so. I would leave your skimmer off for a while after feeding, though, keep as much food in the water for as long as possible, then let it get skimmed out.
 
I have gone 13 hrs before and everything was fine (power outage), though I did stir the water a bit towards the end. When I do feed my corals at night I will leave the return pump off for an hour or more, with my powerheads still running. Unless you have 100 fish packed into a nano I wouldn't worry about oxygen levels for several hours.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new