How long should I keep my clownfish separated during pairing?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have been trying to pair up my clownfish and it went a little too far when I saw one had a ripped fin using a breeder box to sperate the aggressor from the one being bullied, one is a davinci and one is a nearly naked. The fish has healed and sometimes goes up to the one on the outside, sometimes darting at it making it look like he's trying to bite. So the question is how long should I wait to put them with each other again (it's been like 4-5 weeks). Do I wait until I see no aggression or just try it again now? Or is this the type of thing where it doesn't matter and depends on the situation? Thanks for the help.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you have a pair?
Like all fish If its meant to be, it will happen. If not, they might never get along.
I would try again now if it does not work then move on to another pair

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let them be introduced again, just be ready to move one back to the breeder box. I would try this a couple times before i gave up though. Sometimes it takes a few tries, other times it will be as lapin said and they just wont pair up

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you have a pair?
Like all fish If its meant to be, it will happen. If not, they might never get along.
I would try again now if it does not work then move on to another pair
One did submit to the other, so could that mean anything?

Upvote 0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days or a week would have been enough time out time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days or a week would have been enough time out time.
Yes, I do regret that but I heard until I saw no aggression, and I haven't been able to watch the tank as much as I was able to before. Now I have more free time though so it shouldn't be a problem.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO maybe one is a male
Ok here is an update, it's been like 20 minutes and the fighting is WAY WORSE they are locking jaws, latching onto their fins and neither has backed down, and the one that only fought back is as aggressive as the one who is a bit bigger. should I try the box thing again?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your fish are not going to live together, much less mate
yeah that really sucks and these are my first two fish too :(. The fighting stopped and the more aggressive bigger one is actually scared of the other and is hiding. Fins on both fish are ripped. So my store probably wont credit me cause they won't so is selling the fish an option like craigslist because I know people do it with coral.

Upvote 0

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely get rid of one and buy a smaller fish than the one you keep. I've paired different clowns three times without many issues. Each time I had one much larger than the other one. The small one will get a little beat up but it usually works itself out.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Locking jaws isnt good, its because of the size of the two clowns...
my female clownfish did grab the male by its fins and tried to drag it into its anemone (i think to kill and feed it to the anemone) at first introduction. By the third time she finally accepted. Mine have a huge size difference though.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jaw locking usually happens when they are a bit larger and are both transitioning to female(not good). How big are these two clowns?

Upvote 0

anemoneanatomy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are too similarly sized to pair up. Decide which one you want more and rehome the other, or you're gonna end up with dead fish.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jaw locking usually happens when they are a bit larger and are both transitioning to female(not good). How big are these two clowns?
They are both a little over an inch and do you think that me keeping them separated for that long could have led both of them to transition into becoming the female, the box is see through and they did interact though. I thought the locking jaws was weird because when I researched I only heard "locking jaws" when it was a fight between two females.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely get rid of one and buy a smaller fish than the one you keep. I've paired different clowns three times without many issues. Each time I had one much larger than the other one. The small one will get a little beat up but it usually works itself out.
Yeah my fish store told me otherwise but I really don't think it's gonna work out so I'll probably be giving one back and getting a new one.

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back