How long till I can get my next fish?

AnthonyA5059

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 7, 2026
Messages
73
Reaction score
27
Location
florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15g tank, only been running with fish for 2 weeks. I have a pair of juvenile clowns. I want to add a tailspot blenny as the last fish I add to this tank. My ammonia is 0 and everything looks good, how long till I can add the blenny?

I know I don’t have much algae now but I was planning on feeding algae wafers.
 
Unfortunately, I agree with the above. Often times Clownfish will decide that the whole tank is "theirs", and will aggressively defend it and not allow fish in "their" tank.

If your Clowns are juveniles and not yet truly paired, you might be able to add a Tail Spot, but be prepared for a plan B as aggression may occur.

In hindsight, a better plan would be to add the Tail Spot first, and then then Clowns.

Another idea is to redo the rock work when you add the Tail Spot. Sometimes, this can "reset" the Clownfish's idea of what's "theirs" and allows a new fish a chance to find their own safe spots and territory.

Good luck!
 
Wel
Unfortunately, I agree with the above. Often times Clownfish will decide that the whole tank is "theirs", and will aggressively defend it and not allow fish in "their" tank.

If your Clowns are juveniles and not yet truly paired, you might be able to add a Tail Spot, but be prepared for a plan B as aggression may occur.

In hindsight, a better plan would be to add the Tail Spot first, and then then Clowns.

Another idea is to redo the rock work when you add the Tail Spot. Sometimes, this can "reset" the Clownfish's idea of what's "theirs" and allows a new fish a chance to find their own safe spots and territory.

Good luck!
Well I’m willing to give it a shot, I really wanted a Little Rock perching fish in this tank. Is my tank ready for another fish maturity wise? Then worse case I’ll remove the blenny if things go bad
 
Wel

Well I’m willing to give it a shot, I really wanted a Little Rock perching fish in this tank. Is my tank ready for another fish maturity wise? Then worse case I’ll remove the blenny if things go bad
Yes, I think a couple weeks after adding the Clowns and the ammonia at zero, you're ready to try another fish.
 
15g tank, only been running with fish for 2 weeks. I have a pair of juvenile clowns. I want to add a tailspot blenny as the last fish I add to this tank. My ammonia is 0 and everything looks good, how long till I can add the blenny?

I know I don’t have much algae now but I was planning on feeding algae wafers.
Clowns are territorial and if they pair off, they will be uninviting. A watchman goby and a shrimp as an example would be a better risk
 
If you added 2 fish to your tank only 2 weeks ago I would wait at least a month, give the bacteria a chance to multiply, 2 weeks is too soon IMO.

I agree with above comments that you are taking a chance. Blennies are mischievous and it will get into the clowns space and cause trouble. Personally I would say something like a neon goby or a clown goby would be a better choice than a blenny in such a small tank. Tailspot likes to swim and explore, the tank is too small for exploring type fish, it will be bored.
 
If you’re going to add one more fish. I agree that a smaller goby would be your best option. Any other fish you’re risking with territorial issues due to the clowns.
 
Well I ordered the tailspot from dr reef. Supposed to get it in 2 weeks. Hopefully all goes well, if not I’ll remove the blenny and give it to my LFS. I’m hoping since my clowns are young and have only been in the tank a couple weeks everything works out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new