how long to leave a new tank up and going before swap

Oceanslayer18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 55 gallon tank. Im going to switch everything to a new 75 gallon tank drilled. My question how long should i leave the new tank empty and running before i switch over because i plan on using all my current equipment in the new tank. I also dont want to have to pay almost 90 dollars to fill it up and have 130 of water in my house lol. Please help me out. Thanks.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I would set the new tank up, leak test it, and then use the existing water from the 55 to fill up the 75, with a little bit of new water to fill it the rest of the way. Assuming your 55 is cycled, you shouldn't have to wait to "start over" in terms of waiting on a new cycle to pass. You might get a little spike by adding the additional water, but it should pass quickly.

Put your fish and stuff in the tank after filing it up with water from the 55, and slowly add the new water until you have what you need. It should act just like a water change, except you aren't taking any water out, just adding.

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1.. I don't wait when I break down a tank and use my old LR, etc...

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agrea with BTK just add the water it would onl be like a WC, just since it would be a larger water change make sure all your para and the salanity is fine so it wont be like a big change for the coral and fish..

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!

No problem, keep us up to date on how things go. There are a lot of good people here, so please don't be afraid to post any questions you have. We've all been there, done that before, and everyone here is more than willing to offer help. After all, isn't that what the forum is all about :) Good luck with the switchover...hopefully I'll be doing the same thing soon.

OP
OP
Oceanslayer18

Oceanslayer18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, keep us up to date on how things go. There are a lot of good people here, so please don't be afraid to post any questions you have. We've all been there, done that before, and everyone here is more than willing to offer help. After all, isn't that what the forum is all about :) Good luck with the switchover...hopefully I'll be doing the same thing soon.

thanks lol its good to have a nice source information for a newb like me haha

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 with BTK. I also would like to suggest you get an RO filter so that you can make your own water. saves you a huge amount of money...saved me over a 1000 a year. Good luck Bud!

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done a few tank changes 55 to a 72 and a 72 to a 100 and i have never set up the other tank and had them running. I do like bt says use the existing set up to get the new one going. I have not had a problem yet and have not lost anything yet. Just make sure you have some help on hand.

I agree with mimic since getting my rodi i have saved a lot of money 30 bucks worth of filters can go a long way.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded I just used my current water and rock. Then added new water. It is basically a water change because you will add new water which will lower all levels. Can't wait to see the new tank. Keep us updated.

get_armbarred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what everyone is saying. Just make sure you heat your new water before adding it to the new water. temp spikes cause big problems

OP
OP
Oceanslayer18

Oceanslayer18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is just finished

Attachments

• 2011-02-06 19.22.10.jpg
    2011-02-06 19.22.10.jpg