How long until clowns pair

0rangeFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an ocellaris clown for five years and decide to get her a buddy. She has no interest in the new one. The new one was from a tank of maybe fifty other clowns, so either I'm really unlucky and managed to get the one female in it or mine just will never pair. It's been five weeks. The little one just chills in the opposite side on the tank in the top corner and doesn't seem to be submitting when nipped at by the female. Should I try another one, keep waiting, or call it quits?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big was the new one?
Getting one an inch and a quarter or smaller pretty much assures still male, but usually 2 females will quickly fight, and usually to the death, so probably just need to wait it out.

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several ways to pair a female and male which I have tried in the course through the years with clownfish.

But firstly, make sure the male is much smaller than female . Secondly, put both female and the new clownfish or male in a small diy container with holes that you can hang on the inside of the tank, or a breeder net. Should be small, that it will fill half way of water. This way the clownfish don't have room to swim away from each other. There will be a little fighting, keep them in the container for several hours from 3-6 hours the longer the better. Release the male first in the tank, and leave the female in the container for a couple hours. Your putting the female in "timeout", because she doesn't no how to behave..lol

Then release and observe how they interact with each, there might be a little fighting. If it gets to abusive repeat the container method again. However, it should work the first time. This is what work for me. Here's a picture of my container DIY made of acrylic. A longtime friend in the hobby made this for me it was intentionally for the use to hold frags.

Good luck and let us know with pictures on how it went.
c68b79a3e88974df35a89bb2f655e34b.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back