How low can PH get before it becomes a problem?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Aqua Controller JR today and a PH probe and granted I haven't programmed it yet or calibrated but it is saying my PH is at 8.0.. I do realize I need to calibrate it but I am one of those people that can hurt their brain by using a cell phone for complicated uses such as text messaging... :tongue: Plus I have a head cold so right now calibration isn't high on the priority list...

Just curious at which point low PH becomes a problem?

Billgax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also depends on what would be having the problem. The lower pH's can impede calcification rates, for instance... prior to causing issues with fish. The rate of change is certainly paramount. Anything below 7.6 would have me wetting myself. Google scholar searches for ocean acidification papers can yield some interesting material. I may also have some papers from my tenure at the lab that I can email you Skinz... will keep you in mind.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well honestly the main reason I am wanting to check my PH is that my clams haven't grown in a month or so. All other corals are growing like mad, even the SPS's.

To be perfectly honest I have never checked my PH before, just monitored the Alk.

Back