More pH discussion. Anything else I can do to address low pH?

brentlee6969

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new setup is about 6 months old and I noticed my pH kept drifting downwards. I have had this issue on a different tank in the past and solved it with a CO2 scrubber connected via the skimmer. This time I did a little more planning for the new tank and put it close to an outside wall. I ran a pipe outside for the skimmer to draw through. I still have a problem with pH if I do not open my house up every 1 to 2 days(pH sits about 7.5-7.6 at night and about 7.7 during the day). When I open the house up it goes up to 7.8-8. I also run an algae scrubber that currently runs 24/7(Considering making it only run at night). I am measuring my pH via a Probe on Hydros and I double check it when needed with a hanna master kit.

So the question. What else can I do to stabilize my pH and/or what am I missing in this equation?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the ph inside the room is low, reducing gas exchange from surface agitation in combination will pulling air from outside should help.

OP
OP
brentlee6969

brentlee6969

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the ph inside the room is low, reducing gas exchange from surface agitation in combination will pulling air from outside should help.
My surface agitation is minimal. I try to keep it down because I have had pH problems with other tanks in the past.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is stable, and the recipe has the same potency as my DIY# 1 so calculators using that work for this recipe:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH used to stay a little low so I ran an outside airline for my skimmer, I have a refugium on a reverse photo period, and I eventually started using a CO2 scrubber. They all helped some, but on Randy’s advice I eventually switched my alkalinity dosing from sodium carbonate to sodium hydroxide and it has been great for me. Now I have to mix my sodium hydroxide solution with a sodium carbonate solution so that I don’t raise the pH of my tank too high while maintaining my alkalinity level.
Just remember that your sodium hydroxide solution will have a very high pH be cautious when handling it.

OP
OP
brentlee6969

brentlee6969

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH used to stay a little low so I ran an outside airline for my skimmer, I have a refugium on a reverse photo period, and I eventually started using a CO2 scrubber. They all helped some, but on Randy’s advice I eventually switched my alkalinity dosing from sodium carbonate to sodium hydroxide and it has been great for me. Now I have to mix my sodium hydroxide solution with a sodium carbonate solution so that I don’t raise the pH of my tank too high while maintaining my alkalinity level.
Just remember that your sodium hydroxide solution will have a very high pH be cautious when handling it.
Good to hear I have constantly struggled to keep pH from dipping to low.

OP
OP
brentlee6969

brentlee6969

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is stable, and the recipe has the same potency as my DIY# 1 so calculators using that work for this recipe:

TY I am buying some now and will give it a try.

OP
OP
brentlee6969

brentlee6969

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what the ambient co2 is in the room/house?
I do not. I know it must be a problem as it has been in the past. Part of the reason I open windows/doors as much as I can.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your testing is accurate and you max out at 7.7 during the day, you could have more than 1000-1200ppm or even 1500ppm of co2 in your house. If so, this is not good for you, either. This is worth checking on. Easy fix is lots of regular air outs with fans but some buy air exchangers.

30 seconds with attic fan a few times a week keeps my indoor air around 500 during the winter. Heater does not even run more... just exchanging air, not cooling the house down. Usually wait until the temp is at least 30 outside.

OP
OP
brentlee6969

brentlee6969

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your testing is accurate and you max out at 7.7 during the day, you could have more than 1000-1200ppm or even 1500ppm of co2 in your house. If so, this is not good for you, either. This is worth checking on. Easy fix is lots of regular air outs with fans but some buy air exchangers.

30 seconds with attic fan a few times a week keeps my indoor air around 500 during the winter. Heater does not even run more... just exchanging air, not cooling the house down. Usually wait until the temp is at least 30 outside.
Our next step is finding a good way to exchange air in the house.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back