Votes: 16 33.3%

• Total voters

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking at my tank and I’ve noticed a few corals that aren’t doing so hot. One bleaching and one receding. Just got me wondering how many corals people typically lose a year, if any? It’s always disheartening but it seems to be just part of the hobby unfortunately.

MugenReef95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking at my tank and I’ve noticed a few corals that aren’t doing so hot. One bleaching and one receding. Just got me wondering how many corals people typically lose a year, if any? It’s always disheartening but it seems to be just part of the hobby unfortunately.

man ive lost one beautiful bubble coral in my year so far reefing, everything else is doing great so far

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s always sad, one of the corals that’s receding is one I’ve had for years. It’s hard to sit back and watch but I don’t know whether to move it or let it try and recover from there.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a few in the beginning, mostly because I was still figuring out how to do things. I also lost a few when I moved to a new house earlier this year. But besides that, not many.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Very nice! Got any tips for us to keep in mind as our rock garden stews?
I basically just keep my water parameters stable, feed everyday, and keep up with regular maintenance. I'm not one of the people who test every couple of days, I only test my water once a month and all of my corals are happy. Check out my recent post in my build thread and you will see what I mean :)

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t lost any in a long time. I have had die off at one time due to a switch in salt, but I was able to correct that with a return to IO, that I’ve used for decades. As @Gernader stated, I haven’t tested anything in almost a year. I just let it do its thing. I Just do the same thing each week and keep it stable.

I don’t dose anything except kalkwasser and occasionally some phosphate when things look “pale”. I broad cast LRS reef frenzy at feedings.

Having stability long term is key, meaning all the basics are consistent and correct. Then being patient. I can’t stress enough having the basics down first and not trying to “adjust” or “tinker” with anything. If you do, only one thing slowly.

Nothing happens fast (AT ALL!) in this hobby!

Fins up!

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t lost any in a long time. I have had die off at one time due to a switch in salt, but I was able to correct that with a return to IO, that I’ve used for decades. As @Gernader stated, I haven’t tested anything in almost a year. I just let it do its thing. I Just do the same thing each week and keep it stable.

I don’t dose anything except kalkwasser and occasionally some phosphate when things look “pale”. I broad cast LRS reef frenzy at feedings.

Having stability long term is key, meaning all the basics are consistent and correct. Then being patient. I can’t stress enough having the basics down first and not trying to “adjust” or “tinker” with anything. If you do, only one thing slowly.

Nothing happens fast (AT ALL!) in this hobby!

Fins up!
Interesting!! I try my best to keep things stable. I don’t have a ton of nutrient depleting corals I don’t think?! But I was thinking maybe I needed to start dosing due to some sps bleaching but who knows

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting!! I try my best to keep things stable. I don’t have a ton of nutrient depleting corals I don’t think?! But I was thinking maybe I needed to start dosing due to some sps bleaching but who knows

If your corals are bleaching and you have no N03 and P04, then you may need to consider dosing them. I would consider this apart of the basics. :)

There are other factors for this such as too much light intensity (Par), health of the coral........etc.

Bleaching could also be considered RTN.

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your corals are bleaching and you have no N03 and P04, then you may need to consider dosing them. I would consider this apart of the basics. :)

Bleaching could also be considered RTN.
It’s not a ton of bleaching but maybe I should say receding slightly. And there no shortage of p04 over here lol. But thanks for the tips!!

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proportional to how many you buy. For example. I bought eight corals on a great sale. Three bleached out within four days. Rest look great. Seems that all montis cannot live in my tank. All acros, milis, setosas, even green star polyps all slowly die off in a week or two. Therefore I will not be buying corals I know won’t live.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back