How many days of treatment for ich on average?

Leslie Coleman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been treating for ich now for 5 days and just did a double dose today after noticing my yellow tang starting to flash. Picasso trigger has been flashing the whole time since beginning treatment. Using Kordon Rid-Ich Plus with formalin & malchite green. I have not noticed any white specks since Sunday but since the bottle said to treat for 3 to 4 days after white spots disappear, I’m still dosing and now after that tang just started flashing, I’m wondering how long I need to treat for and am also wondering if this is even working.

I’ve lost two wrasses and a tang from this ordeal and last fish loss was two days ago. Everyone else appears to be fine. 75 gal with wet/dry sump.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rid ich will not fully erradicate ich. It may help control it but won't eliminate.

Proven methods all require moving fish to QT and treating. You can use TTM, Hypo, copper, or CP. You will also want to leave your DT fish less for 76 days before reintroducing the fish.

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank to tank method, or copper. Only way to get rid if ich. Dt stays fallow for 76 days I believe.

OP
OP
L

Leslie Coleman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the point of these meds if they don’t fully eradicate the disease? Also, isn’t it possible to boost the fishes’ immune systems to the point where they build up immunity to ich?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the point of these meds if they don’t fully eradicate the disease? Also, isn’t it possible to boost the fishes’ immune systems to the point where they build up immunity to ich?

They just attempt to help manage the parasite. Some people manage ich without many problems but I prefer copper and eradication. This allows me to confidently add fish that are tougher to keep without worrying about disease.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin and malachite green will most certainly "rid ich"....freshwater ich, that is. They are not effective treatments for crypto (saltwater ich).

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 55 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 64 49.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 11 8.5%
Back