how many fish can i add to newly cycled tank?

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g with a 20g sump protein skimmer and gfo/carbon reactor. how many fish could I add to start? also would like to add some snails if posible.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all realize it's exciting to get life in a newly cycled tank. But let me finish, and ask you to please heed, the advise/comment @Webslinger offered above. Slow and steady wins the race!

Yes, you can add a clean up crew if it's cycled. However, when it comes to fish, you need to allow time for your biological filtration to adjust to the new life in the tank. If you overload it right out of the box, you're asking for issues.

You're hopefully going to have your system for a long time to come. Please don't feel like you need to rush to fill it up.

These are all of course just one persons opinion.

OP
OP
Undertaker

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dbl I do realize the " turtle" wins. I have 70 lbs of live rock in my tank. Which I believe gives me a pretty good bio filter. I was wanting to put a pair of clowns in. So I guess I should have asked. Would it be ok to add a pair of clowns rather than how many fish can I add.

govolsguy31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dbl I do realize the " turtle" wins. I have 70 lbs of live rock in my tank. Which I believe gives me a pretty good bio filter. I was wanting to put a pair of clowns in. So I guess I should have asked. Would it be ok to add a pair of clowns rather than how many fish can I add.

IMO, yes, you'd be fine. They're a hardy fish as well, so that helps. After you add them, watch your levels for a few days close. If you dont see Ammonia or NO2 after 3 or 4 days, you're in good shape.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In my opinion, yes, a pair of clowns are just fine.

willthethrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is fairly new. About 10 months old. The way I started stocking it from the beginning was, I put a new addition into my QT tank for about 6 weeks, and then add it to the display. Very next week I go out and buy another fish and add it to my QT (or another pair if it's smaller sized fish, I have a 120g display). So every 6-7 weeks I add something. I know it's boring at first and you want to add stuff quick, but I figured this way I'd be excited about finally adding another fish to my system, and instead of being upset that I gotta wait a long time, I go out and buy something to throw into QT so I can get my fix of seeing a new fish. I feed it and watch it, and medicate it too. Just my 2 cents!

LJC6780

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is fairly new. About 10 months old. The way I started stocking it from the beginning was, I put a new addition into my QT tank for about 6 weeks, and then add it to the display. Very next week I go out and buy another fish and add it to my QT (or another pair if it's smaller sized fish, I have a 120g display). So every 6-7 weeks I add something. I know it's boring at first and you want to add stuff quick, but I figured this way I'd be excited about finally adding another fish to my system, and instead of being upset that I gotta wait a long time, I go out and buy something to throw into QT so I can get my fix of seeing a new fish. I feed it and watch it, and medicate it too. Just my 2 cents!

Can I ask how you have your QT set up? How do you do water changes? Any live rock in qt?

willthethrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask how you have your QT set up? How do you do water changes? Any live rock in qt?

In my laundry room in my basement I have a 20g long for quarantining fish, and a 10g with a cheap LED over it for quarantining coral. A lot of ppl say 20g is small for QT'ing fish, however I don't buy full sized adult fish, I get them small so they can grow in my system. I have the room if I really wanted, but at the fish store they're in a 20g for weeks until they get bought anyway so I figure it's ok. I've done this with 8 fish so far with no issues. 2 of them being a yellow tang and a blue hippo tang (at different times Ofcourse, not together). I have a heater, an HOB filter with filter floss, and a small maxi jet circulating water making good water agitation on the surface for oxygen. I have an ammonia badge stuck to the glass letting me know when ammonia starts to rise and I do a 25% water change with just basic instant ocean cheap salt the second I see a change in the shade of color on the ammonia badge. Ends up being about once a week. (I use the more expensive Red Sea coral pro salt in my display). No live rock in there. I treat with Prazipro for 7-10 days, then use carbon and a large water change (50%) to get as much of the water clean as possible, and then I treat with Cupramine (copper) for 3-4 weeks. Go easy with Cupramine if you go that route. I followed the instructions on the bottle which is way too much copper way to fast and killed an amazing Desjardini tang by mistake. Use only 25% dose at a time and test for copper.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dbl was right on the money I believe, but I'll also add that your tank will not be able to handle all of those fish at all. Tangs will not be a good choice

willthethrill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dbl was right on the money I believe, but I'll also add that your tank will not be able to handle all of those fish at all. Tangs will not be a good choice

Agreed on the tangs. I used to have a 55 a few years ago. I think ONE small/medium tang in that tank is the limit. They need room to swim, plus with tangs it's a balancing act on keeping them together without fighting. You'd have to take into account if they're similar in size, color. Not enough feedings they'll fight for food. Territory aggression and you'd have to redo aquascaping or remove one and add him back later on. Things like that.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Back