How many fish for a 25g

blazedbeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25g nano cube with a clown fish, bi color blenny, and a fairy wrasse. I have about 20 pounds of live rock and run a skimmer . I would like to add a yasha goby and maybe have it pair with a pistol shrimp in the future. Would this be too many fish?

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25g nano cube with a clown fish, bi color blenny, and a fairy wrasse. I have about 20 pounds of live rock and run a skimmer . I would like to add a yasha goby and maybe have it pair with a pistol shrimp in the future. Would this be too many fish?
No, you would be fine with one or two more fish.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. So long as you have good filtration and (ideally) a protein skimmer, you should be good to go. I’ve had up to 13 small fish in a 25-gallon lagoon without issues. Yes, the 13 isn’t a typo...
WOW! You had to run into trouble once they started growing. Even with all 3" mature Gobies, that is a heck of a lot of fish in a 25

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I have run into in my small tank is the issue of territories. I think that would not be an issue with the yasha goby and your current crew.
I just ordered an Orange TailSpot Goby and a Watchman Goby, coming any day now. My thinking is one stays on the substrate and the other stays up on the shelves. At least that's what I'm hoping

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! You had to run into trouble once they started growing. Even with all 3" mature Gobies, that is a heck of a lot of fish in a 25
Surprisingly enough, they did awesome in the 8 months that I had them in the 25-gallon. The fusion style has a lot more real estate and swimming area.

CrossXchaos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of wrasse 25 is usually insufficient for most wrasse since they can grow to a decent size and are very active swimmers. The rest should be ok imo

OP
OP
B

blazedbeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of wrasse 25 is usually insufficient for most wrasse since they can grow to a decent size and are very active swimmers. The rest should be ok imo
I have a tricolor fairy wrasse. I read they need about 30 gallons and have seen a few in a 25g. My Lfs said it should do fine in my 25g so I took their word for it.

CrossXchaos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tricolor wrasse aka red head Solon wrasse need 90 gallons I would say they could do well in any 4foot tank apart from a 33 gal long. If it's small it should be ok for a year or 2.

OP
OP
B

blazedbeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tricolor wrasse aka red head Solon wrasse need 90 gallons I would say they could do well in any 4foot tank apart from a 33 gal long. If it's small it should be ok for a year or 2.
I don’t think I’ll be upgrading tanks anytime soon. I’ll most likely trade it for a royal gramma, or some other colorful fish. Would you have any suggestions on what to get?

CrossXchaos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a cherub or flame back pygmy angelfish they require 55 gallons but imo I've never seen one grow larger them 2.5 inch and hundreds of wild caught that come here are never over 2.5 inches so I would add one to a nano forsure they are reef safe with caution but are among the most reef safe dwarfs you can get.

CrossXchaos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also avoid the African flameback it is much more aggressive then the Brazilian flameback. Different being Brazilian blue tail African yellow/orange tail.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back