how many fish in 20 gallon tank

fishboy10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have three that are doing fine in a soft coral 20 gallon an occelaris a firefish and neon goby weekly water changes green star polyp mushrooms and xenia is this alright or is this too much plus cleanup crew and if you can answer a second question i want a small smasher mantis shrimp for my 10 gallon would a damsel or a clown be tough enough to go with one

LBehr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question one: that is probably about right for bioload. Ive seen people get away with more but you have to have good nutrient export.

Question two: I've seen damsels survive mantis shrimp, you really never know though. From what I understand if you keep them well fed they are less likely to attack stuff.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia is an excellent nutriant exporter, so you should be fine as long as they all get along. Don't know about the mantis, but I have a damsel you could try, lol.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a yellow tail that is really pretty and smart, but it bites occasionally if I start rearranging the tank. It is also fond of uprooting my acro frags. It gets along really well with a clownfish but is not real happy with the splendid dottyback in the tank (38 g). The dottyback is peaceful but can't seem to stay out of the damsel's little corner of territory. On the bright side, the damsel doesn't eat much. The yellowtail is one of the nicer species of damsels, btw. Most have much worse dispositions than mine, I suspect.

I was joking, of course, about letting you put it in with a mantis. If anyone kills it, it's going to be me, not some shrimp, LOL!

OP
OP
F

fishboy10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah well I was thinking of a 3 striped and my clown is that way with my hand and he's only an inch or so if I get a clown goby I'd be nervous about him

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back