How many households in the USA have Marine Aquariums (no google)

How many households in the US have Marine tanks (no googling allowed)

• Total voters
OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's why I didn't post the link;)

I've always kinda wondered about this. I'm not even positive the source I found is the best answer. This info isn't readily available from what I've found.

I was way off on my vote. I will say that:)

The link @MrObscura posted was also way off:)

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is actually interesting - Fyi - in case anyone is curious the total spent on pet care in the US - is >75 billion/year

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't wait for the answer, I have been googling it (after I voted) and I cannot find a solid answer.
OK - so according to this link https://www.americanpetproducts.org/press_industrytrends.asp - the number of households with Saltwater aquaria is .....

2.5 million - and there are 18+ million saltwater fish being taken care of in the US.

But - please dont quit @ccombs

By the way the other literature I found from 10 years ago - said 700,000 households, and one >1,000,000 - the one I quoted was the most recent. If you look at the growth of the overall pet spending in the US - and the population growth - it has to be well over 1,000,000 by now.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - so according to this link https://www.americanpetproducts.org/press_industrytrends.asp - the number of households with Saltwater aquaria is .....

2.5 million - and there are 18+ million saltwater fish being taken care of in the US.

By the way the other literature I found from 10 years ago - said 700,000 households, and one >1,000,000 - the one I quoted was the most recent. If you look at the growth of the overall pet spending in the US - and the population growth - it has to be well over 1,000,000 by now.
And we're only 0.6% of the pet owners in the US as of 2014.

iu

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is mind blowing to me. I have already quit, I threw the tank out the window and am going office space on it.

source.gif

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put under a million. The marine hobby is tiny. FW is king. That's what all the normies do.

You aren't a normie are you o_O
:eek:
Nope. I work for Orkin and keep spiders. In fact my wife asked when are we going to raise dubi roaches for lizards and spiders. o_O

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew it would be more than 1M, perhaps up to 2 I figured. The stats on aquariums in general was interesting

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/science/23aquarium.html

An for those that don't like to read the answer is:
estimated 700,000 saltwater home aquariums in the United States,

The over all aquarium hobby has been loosing hobbyist thru this past year. I subscribe to a pet business newsletter that keeps track of sending on pet products an services.:)

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def more than a million, aquarium wise are more common than what we think of course this includes fresh, planted, brackish and saltwater. diversity is we’re it reaches the million mark in my opinion

WallysWorld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And we're only 0.6% of the pet owners in the US as of 2014.

iu
You have to love statistics and estimates. This pie chart is significantly different than the APPA study. The APPA data states that SW Fish households are 2.5 million, approximately the same number of households that own horses at 2.6 million. The ratio of FW households versus SW households is also drastically different. Based upon the sample size of 2, the margin of error in these estimates huge, making the estimates somewhat useless!

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/science/23aquarium.html

An for those that don't like to read the answer is:
estimated 700,000 saltwater home aquariums in the United States,

The over all aquarium hobby has been loosing hobbyist thru this past year. I subscribe to a pet business newsletter that keeps track of sending on pet products an services.:)
I posted a link earlier - that as of 2018 - it was 2.5 million saltwater tanks. https://www.americanpetproducts.org/press_industrytrends.asp

Interesting - at least according to this (second link) - in the US the aquarium hobby has been decreasing for 25 years - though other sources say its been flat. However in other parts of the world the hobby is booming - the article also explains some of the reasons that prices for certain items are so high in the US. http://www.petbusiness.com/December-2018/Raising-Live-Fish-in-Stores/

Edit - BTW - its possible the business in 'fish stores' - which is where this article is from - has declined for 25 years - but the overall business (i.e. because of the internet) has not.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with between 100,000 and 1 million (it's the biggest range, so better chance of being correct - did you people not watch the price is right when you were younger LOL) but I don't think it's over a million. Of course, majority are probably not reef tanks. Data available online (I've looked previously) are all over the place.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have to love statistics and estimates. This pie chart is significantly different than the APPA study. The APPA data states that SW Fish households are 2.5 million, approximately the same number of households that own horses at 2.6 million. The ratio of FW households versus SW households is also drastically different. Based upon the sample size of 2, the margin of error in these estimates huge, making the estimates somewhat useless!

The surveys were also taken 6-7 years apart - The chart @Instigate posted is from an article written in 2015 - the chart comes from Veterinary medicine statistics from 2012 - so there is no clear way to compare. For example - between 2012 and (estimated 2019) annual dollars spent on pets (don't know if they ignored or included inflation) increased by 41 %

2019 $75.38 Estimated
2018 $72.56 Actual
2017 $69.51
2016 $66.75
2015 $60.28
2014 $58.04
2013 $55.72
2012 $53.33

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went with between 100,000 and 1 million (it's the biggest range, so better chance of being correct - did you people not watch the price is right when you were younger LOL) but I don't think it's over a million. Of course, majority are probably not reef tanks. Data available online (I've looked previously) are all over the place.
There are certainly not 2.5 million 'reef tanks'. But the statistics from APPA say 2.5 million - saltwater fish tanks - so I'm still going with '>1,000,000' is the correct answer. :). Its an interesting discussion. What else is interesting is that only 14.4% of people got the correct answer - which is why I asked the question - because I thought most people had no idea how big the Aquarium industry - let alone saltwater - was.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 'gut' is that 1,000,000 is high …. but who knows.

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial guess of 300,000-500,000 households was guessing how many people have REEF tanks. The OP asked about marine tanks, which would include fish only tanks..I would have guessed closer to a 750,000+ figure for that..I should have read into the question a little more. I know a couple people who can keep fish only tanks, but struggle with any type of coral. I would also guess that nearly half of people who start reef tanks get out of the hobby within 2 years of starting because of difficulty, time, money and getting burned out. I would also guess that for every person that gets out of the hobby a new hobbyist replaces them at a pretty even rate.

I would be interested to hear what % of people who have marine tanks started out with freshwater. I cannot imagine that many people dive right into marine tanks, more probably advance in the hobby and transition to marine?

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial guess of 300,000-500,000 households was guessing how many people have REEF tanks. The OP asked about marine tanks, which would include fish only tanks..I would have guessed closer to a 750,000+ figure for that..I should have read into the question a little more. I know a couple people who can keep fish only tanks, but struggle with any type of coral. I would also guess that nearly half of people who start reef tanks get out of the hobby within 2 years of starting because of difficulty, time, money and getting burned out. I would also guess that for every person that gets out of the hobby a new hobbyist replaces them at a pretty even rate.

I would be interested to hear what % of people who have marine tanks started out with freshwater. I cannot imagine that many people dive right into marine tanks, more probably advance in the hobby and transition to marine?
Unless you count my daughter's Beta fish, I dove straight into marine. 32gal biocube 10 years ago this summer. Still have my first fish, clownfish of course. The fact that they're still alive is probably the only reason I plod along lol! I can't keep a system stable enough to keep coral growing and thriving.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back