0   0   0
I want to have SPS and LPS, will one do?? Or will i need 2? Thank you

old salt reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in about same boat(IM 20 peninsula) and the distance between the light pucks(clusters of lights) on the Hydra32 is only 4.5 inches center to center. I'm leaning towards 2 Prime 16HDs to spread the light out more towards the edges and avoid a hot spot in the center that would come with just one Hydra 32HD.
My tank is 27" long(water part) so that's 13.5 in each direction from center of tank. If I mount a 16HD 6.75" in from each end(same as 6.75" left and right of center) I'll have a much better light spread than if I mount a Hydra with a light puck 2.25" left and right of center(remember the 4.5" puck spread). My tank is only 12" wide.

In your case your tank is 24" long x 16.50 " wide so 1 Hydra hung in the center is going to give you a nice hot spot in the center and very very low par in the 4 corners as well as the edges.
So If I wasn't worried about money I would buy 2 Hydra 32 HDs(always better to have more light than you need) and If I was worried about money I'd buy 2 Prime 16HDs. But I wouldn't just have 1 Hydra 32 HD unless I was keeping just fish and softies.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find two used 26hds and call it good haha Only reason I say that is because I’m not a fan of Bluetooth control only.

OP
OP
B

BG107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in about same boat(IM 20 peninsula) and the distance between the light pucks(clusters of lights) on the Hydra32 is only 4.5 inches center to center. I'm leaning towards 2 Prime 16HDs to spread the light out more towards the edges and avoid a hot spot in the center that would come with just one Hydra 32HD.
My tank is 27" long(water part) so that's 13.5 in each direction from center of tank. If I mount a 16HD 6.75" in from each end(same as 6.75" left and right of center) I'll have a much better light spread than if I mount a Hydra with a light puck 2.25" left and right of center(remember the 4.5" puck spread). My tank is only 12" wide.

In your case your tank is 24" long x 16.50 " wide so 1 Hydra hung in the center is going to give you a nice hot spot in the center and very very low par in the 4 corners as well as the edges.
So If I wasn't worried about money I would buy 2 Hydra 32 HDs(always better to have more light than you need) and If I was worried about money I'd buy 2 Prime 16HDs. But I wouldn't just have 1 Hydra 32 HD unless I was keeping just fish and softies.
Oh yeah, I might go with the 2 AI 16s then, unless I find 26s for cheaper than the 32s.

old salt reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, how about some more food for thought. First let me say that I have a Prime 16HD and love it. It's on a IM Nuvo 10 that was supposed to be my QT but some how became a mixed reef tank with all kinds of coral--Acans,Porites,and bubblegum monti on the bottom(it's a bare bottom tank), some Red Anacopora, blue eyed and green Leptastrea just off the bottom, purple stylo,rainbow stylo birdsnest , green and purple monti cap mid tank and a few acroporas and green anacropora towards to top. There are different Zoas at all levels. There is one fish in there as well, a 6 line wrasse I call PC for pest control(she is very good at it). EVERYTHING is doing great under the Prime. I'm completely happy with it and get wonderful grow with it.
I have a IM 20 and it has a Current USA Marine IC PRO on it. All I will say about it is it works--just barely. I have most of the same stuff in it as in the Nuvo 10 but it grows about a third as fast under the Current. So I have decided to ungrade to-----2 Prime 16 HDs(remember I love these) or----and that's a big or--I'm also looking at a Reefbreeders 24" Photon V2. The Reefbreeders will cost me about 100 dollars less than 2 Primes(remember I love these)but will it be just as good or at least close the what the Primes will give me? I don't know and at this point am not sure which way I'm going to go.
The one thing about the Current and the Reefbreeders is the leds are spread out so there is no shadowing,corals get light from many different angles where as the prime is all centralized causing some shadowing. Sorry just some food for thought before you buy.

OP
OP
B

BG107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, how about some more food for thought. First let me say that I have a Prime 16HD and love it. It's on a IM Nuvo 10 that was supposed to be my QT but some how became a mixed reef tank with all kinds of coral--Acans,Porites,and bubblegum monti on the bottom(it's a bare bottom tank), some Red Anacopora, blue eyed and green Leptastrea just off the bottom, purple stylo,rainbow stylo birdsnest , green and purple monti cap mid tank and a few acroporas and green anacropora towards to top. There are different Zoas at all levels. There is one fish in there as well, a 6 line wrasse I call PC for pest control(she is very good at it). EVERYTHING is doing great under the Prime. I'm completely happy with it and get wonderful grow with it.
I have a IM 20 and it has a Current USA Marine IC PRO on it. All I will say about it is it works--just barely. I have most of the same stuff in it as in the Nuvo 10 but it grows about a third as fast under the Current. So I have decided to ungrade to-----2 Prime 16 HDs(remember I love these) or----and that's a big or--I'm also looking at a Reefbreeders 24" Photon V2. The Reefbreeders will cost me about 100 dollars less than 2 Primes(remember I love these)but will it be just as good or at least close the what the Primes will give me? I don't know and at this point am not sure which way I'm going to go.
The one thing about the Current and the Reefbreeders is the leds are spread out so there is no shadowing,corals get light from many different angles where as the prime is all centralized causing some shadowing. Sorry just some food for thought before you buy.
Thanks for the details! The 16s seem to be the consensus for a lot of reefers out there. Looks like Im getting 2 of them!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back