How many lyretail anthias should I get as a group in a 180?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 gallon mixed reef with the following
Foxface lo
Purple tang
Two spot tang
Midas blenny
2 pj cardinal
2 bangi cardinals
2 clowns

How many lyretail anthias would be ideal? I want to add one or two more other fish at some point also like a royal gramma, and another tang but not sure which one yet

stovenut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest 6 females.

I have a 6' 135g peninsula reef with lots of open swimming room and 4 tangs. I ordered 6 females and 2 hardly ever came out of the rock work. So I ended up with 1 male and 3 females in a harem for 2 years. Over time my largest female gets the urge to take on the male. So after 2 years I ended up with 1 male and 1 female. I ordered 4 more females last year, to get back to 6. I lost one and have 5, so it's been hard for me to keep 6. So 4 or 5 is my magic number in a 135g. I think a 180 with fewer large fish can definitely handle a harem of 6. You might even want to order 7 as I find that one always gets picked off early on.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest 6 females.

I have a 6' 135g peninsula reef with lots of open swimming room and 4 tangs. I ordered 6 females and 2 hardly ever came out of the rock work. So I ended up with 1 male and 3 females in a harem for 2 years. Over time my largest female gets the urge to take on the male. So after 2 years I ended up with 1 male and 1 female. I ordered 4 more females last year, to get back to 6. I lost one and have 5, so it's been hard for me to keep 6. So 4 or 5 is my magic number in a 135g. I think a 180 with fewer large fish can definitely handle a harem of 6. You might even want to order 7 as I find that one always gets picked off early on.
I think I’m going to try for 7 and hopefully they will work out. I think they would add a nice touch to the tank

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 gallon mixed reef with the following
Foxface lo
Purple tang
Two spot tang
Midas blenny
2 pj cardinal
2 bangi cardinals
2 clowns

How many lyretail anthias would be ideal? I want to add one or two more other fish at some point also like a royal gramma, and another tang but not sure which one yet
I have one male and 4 females in mine

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back