How many par 38 bulbs?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Matthias7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Matthias7

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 26, 2014
Messages
446
Reaction score
147
Location
Las cruces, nm
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to set up a refugium that will contain several types of macros and possible some mangroves. The tank is a 40 gallon breeder would I need 2 par 38 bulbs over it or could I get away with one?
 
I actually just use a Philips energy saver 100 watt equivalent with a clamp on light. I run two and my mangroves and Macro algae grow fast under them. Pick something around the 6500 to 7500 k range for best growth.
 
I had two 100W CFL's @ 6,500K on a 40, when I used a fuge. Was good for Chaeto, Caulerpa and Agar.
 
Very cheap way of growing algae and mangroves. I grab the 4 pack of bulbs and change mine every 8 months or so.
 
I believe you would need two for full coverage but you can get away with one. With 90 degree optics I think the coverage is about 18"x 18"; you would have to keep macro algae under it.
 
My other option is a led value fixture that is full spectrum but the blue LEDs are no longer functioning. I would imagine it would make a good fuge light with the blues?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new