How many Peppermint shrimps should I get?

Deebo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a serious aiptasia problem in my tank! 100s of them in my 155gal. I used 4 peppermint shrimp, a copperband butterfly and aiptasia x. Let me tell you aiptasia was eradicated within a month completely!

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Crabby. I was seriously considering a Filefish, but I don't want to take the risk with my corals. Corals are challenging enough without have something chowing down on them!
I just got a Filefish from Biota last week. This thing came in very small and the one before from Liveaquaria did eat any Aiptasia. I dont think they eat corals at least my are not

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a125 gal got a filefish ate almost everyone then ate my corals so got rid of him. Then aptasia came back. Got 3 shrimp and cleaned tank clean. Guess I got lucky with them.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi check out algae barn they claim that the peppermint shrimp they aquaculture eat aptasia I just ordered one so I will find out if what they say is true.

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really the crux of the matter!. What is the likelihood that a Peppermint Shrimp will eat Aptasia? I'd like to know the ACTUAL PROBABILITY!
I have a rsm250 65g. There was about 20 aptasias if not more that were in between rock work, I purchased two pep shrimps and within 24hrs I did not see one. I put them in about 5-6pm lights went out at 9pm and by the next day afternoon I did not see one, but now I have a problem one of them is picking at my dendros and they haven’t opened up smh so I’m trying to catch the one that’s left lol

OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, I got myself 4 Peppermints about 3 weeks ago. They are VERY shy. I only know where they are because I have spent a couple of hours looking for them. So far, I can't say if they have eaten any Aiptasia. I decided to give them some help with an Aiptasia eating Filefish

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back