How many snails and hermits for 20 gallon

coloradoreefer94

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 13, 2025
Messages
44
Reaction score
15
Location
Longmont, Colorado
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 20g mixed reef tank is around 6 months old, and it is a fairy high nutrient tank running around 20 nitrates and 0.2 phosphates. The corals and fish all seem to be happy and growing. I currently have 3 trochus snails, 1 tiger conch, 1 nassarius, and 2 hermits. Should I increase the amount of any of these inverts? I do have a small amount of algae and detritus build up, but nothing I would consider an issue to the overall tank.
 
Yes, you should. I'd add 3-5 astrea snails and 1-2 more hermits and/or nassarius. Maybe 1-2 cerith snails to get into tighter quarters.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 27.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new