How many tangs is too many?

Summit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded to a 210 gallon tank and have a list of fish that are possible additions. But how many is too many?
The tangs wanted are
Yellow tang
Blue hippo
Powder brown
Powder blue
Blonde naso
Lavender tang

Would there be any major issues by adding these over time?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my tank I probably wouldn’t add that many because too many big fish makes the tank look crowded plus tangs can be kind of territorial. You may run into issues with the powder brown and power blue.

That said, you would probably not run into any issues with the tank being too small (maybe blue hippo or Naso wayyyy down the road). Between the Blue Hippo, Naso, Powder Brown/Blue I would pick two. The yellow tang and lavender tang would be fine to add with the others

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded to a 210 gallon tank and have a list of fish that are possible additions. But how many is too many?
The tangs wanted are
Yellow tang
Blue hippo
Powder brown
Powder blue
Blonde naso
Lavender tang

Two could be too many. You could with any one in any order end up with a dead fish even in a large tank. Not to mention tangs limit other fish too. They can harass butterflies, foxface, and other large fish you might want down the road. Personally in my 280 gallon, I've decided one tang is the max I want after the trouble I've had with aggression from tangs.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, I'm speaking from experience with my own 72" 215-gal tank. I love tangs!

There is no guaranteed formula for tangs. Their relative size to each other when introduced determines a lot!

In an attempt to be helpful I highly recommend a good size acclimation box. I've had the most success adding tangs that have been given a week or more to adapt to the water, lighting and at least scope out their tankmates before releasing them. A fight will surely ensue among the list you have. You just have to be prepared to lose a tang (or two) each and every time you change something.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m my 230 I currently have
1) yellow tang
1) yellow belly blue tang
1) orange shoulder
1) mata tang
1) sailfin tang

along with 1 foxface
2 clown fish
2 springeri damsels
1 flame hawk
1) yellow streak fairy wrasse
1 Mel wrasse
1 cardinal ( black and white stripes )
Lawnmower blenny
And a green spotted mandarin

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DaddyFish is spot on.

I have a 7' 220 gallon and Have a Yellow, a Purple, a Red sea sailfin, A Naso and a Soho Tang. The Soho is the Boss of the tank. Although there are some territorial issues and personality issues. Such as the Soho doesn't like the Sailfin to eat off his lettuce clip. Same issue with the Yellow and the Purple. My wife's solution was to put 3 clips in at the same time. One at the ends and one in the middle. It is comical to watch them stake out their clip at feeding time. There is the occasional sprint from one end of the tank to the other chasing each other and the occasional tail dance. However for the most part no one gets hurt, Everyone gets plenty of food and their all fat and healthy. It did take a while for the pecking order to work itself out but everyone has a personal space and they generally get along fine. Feeding frozen food does bring out a little aggression but they settle down after 10 min.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The tangs wanted are
Yellow tang
Blue hippo
Powder brown
Powder blue
Blonde naso
Lavender tang

I see no problem. You have length and width. Provide hiding

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, it doesn't have to be a tang added later to upset things. It can be any fish, a significant change of decor/rock, anything that disturbs their territorial balance and it's Game-On all over again.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see a problem, but I would get as small a powder blue as you can, and probably add it last. I keep 8 in my 300 and there is a lot of posturing and occasional nipped fins, but nothing major.

FragFarm

Frag Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a tang addict. I find add in two or 3. Hiding spots a must. I always add the Red Sea tangs last. I find Soheil and purples bossy they can be mean. But I love tangs and I enjoy adding em small. Many as can fit. But that’s just me

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, I'm speaking from experience with my own 72" 215-gal tank. I love tangs!

There is no guaranteed formula for tangs. Their relative size to each other when introduced determines a lot!

In an attempt to be helpful I highly recommend a good size acclimation box. I've had the most success adding tangs that have been given a week or more to adapt to the water, lighting and at least scope out their tankmates before releasing them. A fight will surely ensue among the list you have. You just have to be prepared to lose a tang (or two) each and every time you something.
How do you keep the tangs healthy and ich-free other than QT. Have you had problems with Ich? I love tangs, unfortunately the one I like are of the acanthurus family that I understand are the least resistant to ich. If you have the time I have a lot of questions about tangs

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep the tangs healthy and ich-free other than QT. Have you had problems with Ich? I love tangs, unfortunately the one I like are of the acanthurus family that I understand are the least resistant to ich. If you have the time I have a lot of questions about tangs
You need to qurantine. You can do TTM like I did. I'm able to keep the Acanthurus without problem.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best suggestion is plan for tangs with sufficient tank size, aquascape that provides swimming area and individualized hiding places. A varied diet that includes seaweed/Nori is essential. Lots of Nori really does help reduce aggression. I'm not sure if it's the food itself or the way they feed on it. I believe it's almost a "family meal" effect, whereby they learn to tolerate each other as they feed off a common and plentiful food source.

Tangs are grazers with high metabolisms. A varied flow through the day with multiple quiet times gives them a chance to explore and pick on algae growing in odd places like around powerheads, overflow box surfaces etc.

Like any fish, you will be most successful if you watch them to learn what "normal" looks like. Make changes to the tank methodically and incrementally, not all at once. Then watch your fish for their reaction.

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple Tangs require a tank with multiple safe spaces and lots of swimming room. The more Tangs you want to keep the more space and swimming room you need. Even with that you have to follow all of the standard Tang recommendations concerning feeding and hiding places. Once you do that you still have to let them work out the pecking order between each other. One will be the "Alpha" fish or bully. The rest will have intermural contests on a regular basis. As long as no one is getting damaged or is being beat up regular it is normal for them to protect what they think is their portion of the "Hood" Feeding can bring out the evil in some tangs. I have a Soho that will chase every fish in the tank at feeding time. Once he gets his fill he will let everyone else eat. My wife usually puts 2 or 3 nori clips at different parts of the tank. Each end and the middle of the tank. That seems to help with aggression at feeding time

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me. Only bullies I see would be the powders.
I added a big Naso to a 140 gallon and the juvenile powder blue is constantly tail whipping and swimming in fast circles around it. Naso does not seem to care. But adult blue hippo bites his big lips and fins when getting in front if him trying to eat from seaweed clip. The powders and zebrasomas seem to be most aggressive. But strange that some fish just hate other fish. Sometimes the same species the tang wiil hate one but not the other.

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a big Naso to a 140 gallon and the juvenile powder blue is constantly tail whipping and swimming in fast circles around it. Naso does not seem to care. But adult blue hippo bites his big lips and fins when getting in front if him trying to eat from seaweed clip. The powders and zebrasomas seem to be most aggressive. But strange that some fish just hate other fish. Sometimes the same species the tang wiil hate one but not the other.
I have 3 in my reefer peninsula 650. Lots of swim room and hiding spots make it okay. But 2 would probably be best. I would prefer to add them at same time as juveniles early. I hate adding a tang afterward cuz it is stressful and changes the whole dynamic of tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back