How many times to rinse sand?

daftwazzock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some Red Sea Pink aragonite sand that I've been washing for about an hour now. I must have rinsed it at least ten times now yet the water cloudiness will not go away after each rinsing. How many rinses does it take before this stuff stops clouding the water full of silt?

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Baya. Although mine wasn't the same sand, I used 5 gallon buckets and a garden hose on the bottom. This still took at least 30 minutes to achieve clear water. Afterwards I soaked the sand in the 5 gallon buckets with RODI and prime for a few days to get as much of the chlorine out as possible. Then let the sand dry in the sun a few days and added to my tank. I have not had any issues and no cloudiness at all when I mix my sand bed!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bucket, pantyhose stretched over the bucket and rise till clear. Repeat. Fast and easy. Works for large amounts of sand.

Small amounts, large fish net. Same result.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oops

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post this thread in 2019 / get tons of support from friends and rinsers who are assembling clean controllable tanks.

post this thread in 2006:

THE BACTERIA DIED

Double thumbs up sir.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let the record reflect that the funnest thread ever made was the sand rinse thread during the bacteria died its all going to die stalled cycle, not ever recovering phase of reefing psyche.

Last edited:
OP
OP
daftwazzock

daftwazzock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post this thread in 2019 / get tons of support from friends and rinsers who are assembling clean controllable tanks.

THE BACTERIA DIED
Yeah, I was reading your thread and thought it was quite funny that people think that microbes could be killed by tap water back then haha. You did set me on the right path to getting rid of cloudy water in the future so thanks!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you so much for the thread and the easy work/prep making it look so simple. linked to page one of the thread right up top in caribsea prep section. that intro portion of our sr thread needs to be edited down, too many links to peruse ill clean it up one day but your example is clear and simple.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

THE BACTERIA DIED
I should have stated that mine was dry sand that I seeded in new tank with a cup of old sand. But you are correct!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back