How many watts is to much??

  • Thread starter Thread starter aridious1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

aridious1

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 16, 2013
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Richmond, Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 150 gal tank (72L x 18W x 24H) and right now I have a MTL/ compact combo (3 x 175 watt& 4 x 96 watt). However, I am not getting the growth that I want in my tank. I think that after reading a lot of your threads out there that my lighting is not strong enough for my tank. I want to upgrade to a more powerful light system, but don't want to buy a system that is to powerful where it will cause damage to my livestock. I have looked at a 3 x 250 watt combo and a 3 x 400 watt combo system and would like to know which one would be the best system for my tank. I plan on adding some Acropora after purchasing a new system. Right now I currently have LPS corals, Zoes, Mushrooms and reef safe fish.
 
I would look at leds. Most manufacters will help you determine what you need for that sixe tank.
 
If your going to add Acros and higher light needing critters, then I'd drop in the 400w Halides. There would be no doubt you'd be able to keep anything you wanted.
 
Get your lighting on to 4 hours a day for a week, then every week add an hour to the tank until your get it back to where you had it.
 
400w and a 24" deep tank.

That's a bit overkill, IMO.

My 120g grew sticks just fine with 250w. You'll likely have some heat issues with the 400w unless you put a large chiller on the system or actively cool it a lot.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new