How many watts?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im buying a heater for my waterbox 60.2 i believe its 36 gallins. My basement have no heat. How many watts should i go for the helios? And is the helios heater compatible with apex?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IM Helio cannot be directly integrated with the Apex - other than you can power it from an outlet on a Neptune Energy Bar. You probably want a 200-watt Helio heater setup.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IM Helio cannot be directly integrated with the Apex - other than you can power it from an outlet on a Neptune Energy Bar. You probably want a 200-watt Helio heater setup.

Im so confused to be honest with you when you say its not compatible is that means i cant plug the helios on the apex energy bar and set it on auto?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so confused to be honest with you when you say its not compatible is that means i cant plug the helios on the apex energy bar and set it on auto?
It didn't say it wasn't compatible - I just said you couldn't integrated (ie: control) it directly through the Apex. But yes, as I stated - you can simply plug it (or any other device, for that matter) into an outlet on the Neptune Energy Bar.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn't say it wasn't compatible - I just said you couldn't integrated (ie: control) it directly through the Apex. But yes, as I stated - you can simply plug it (or any other device, for that matter) into an outlet on the Neptune Energy Bar.

Whats the different between an integrated hester thats compatible with apex, and a heater thats not compatible?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
200-250wt and I recommend titanium such as Via aqua or Finnex (my favorite)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the different between an integrated hester thats compatible with apex, and a heater thats not compatible?
You asked if it was compatible - I indicated that the Helio was (along with any device you simply want to plug in and toggle power on/auto/off for). Certain devices (Sicce SDC pumps, for example) can integrate into the Apex and actually be controlled directly from the Apex. I hope this clarifies things.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You asked if it was compatible - I indicated that the Helio was (along with any device you simply want to plug in and toggle power on/auto/off for). Certain devices (Sicce SDC pumps, for example) can integrate into the Apex and actually be controlled directly from the Apex. I hope this clarifies things.

Do u know any heater that can be integrsted with apex?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redundancy. 200-250 watts total.

Really excuse my ignorance man. But im new to this to be honest. So total of 250w. 120 for one? And how do u plug 2 heaters to one controller?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really excuse my ignorance man. But im new to this to be honest. So total of 250w. 120 for one? And how do u plug 2 heaters to one controller?
200-250 watts, so 2 heaters that total somewhere in that range. An Inkbird has two outlets for two heaters and the IM Helio has options for 1 or 2 heaters (go with 2 for redundancy).

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get two 100W heaters. The break even wattage for this system is 100W steady state with ambient temp 68 and aquarium temp 77. 200W allows temp to startup within 4 hours and provides a backup to equilibrium and protects your tank from cooking if one ever got stuck on (one 100W heater can only increase tank temp 10 degrees above ambient).

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, don't bother with the hellos for this if you are getting an apex. The cheapest version of the finnex titanium is actually the best heater I have found with the apex. I usually get about 5 years out of them.

The more expensive digital heaters burn up prematurely from the Apex controlling them and only last a year or two. The cheaper analog ones with the dial can be banged on and off frequently without damage.

If you are cool with glass heaters, the Eheim Jager is the most reliable I have found, but I don't trust myself not to break one.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, don't bother with the hellos for this if you are getting an apex. The cheapest version of the finnex titanium is actually the best heater I have found with the apex. I usually get about 5 years out of them.

The more expensive digital heaters burn up prematurely from the Apex controlling them and only last a year or two. The cheaper analog ones with the dial can be banged on and off frequently without damage.

If you are cool with glass heaters, the Eheim Jager is the most reliable I have found, but I don't trust myself not to break one.

2 of the 125? For 250w? https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/eheim-jager-trutemp-aquarium-heater.html

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the 100W unless you plan to keep your house colder than 68. 125W is overkill and heaters are better slightly undersized than slightly over.

My basement like i mentioned have no heating. And in the winter time i get like 63.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back