How much activated carbon is too much?

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to start using ROX activated carbon on my 50g mixed reef, and I'm curious to know "how much is too much". Directions I've been reading online usually state 1/2 cup per 50g of water, but that seems like so little... Then again, a little may do a whole lot.

Is it possible to overdose carbon? What would be the side effects.

Thanks,

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to start using ROX activated carbon on my 50g mixed reef, and I'm curious to know "how much is too much". Directions I've been reading online usually state 1/2 cup per 50g of water, but that seems like so little... Then again, a little may do a whole lot.

Is it possible to overdose carbon? What would be the side effects.

Thanks,

About 1 TBSP per 5-10 gallons. Doesn’t take much. Crystal clear water. I don’t run it much anymore unless there’s an issue. My water is crystal clear anyway.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 1/2 cup ROX every 2 weeks on a 75 gallon. This seems crystal clear to me.

Now that it’s out of stock I only change every 3 weeks and still think it’s good. I should make it to early November until I’m out.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used 1 TBSP per 10 gallons in my marine and freshwater tanks. In my JBJ 45 I have 35 gallons of water and use 3.5 TBSP. I change it out every three weeks. With a packed tank I would use the same amount, but change it more frequently.

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge you can’t overdose Activated Carbon. It stays there holding physically or chemically the impurities.
On the other it’s best to use small quantities and replace often because better exposing leads to more particles trapped and thus more removed from the water.

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Activated carbon could cause HLLE disease. I do not have personal experience, just happened to read it
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/activated-carbon-affirmed-as-causative-agent-for-hlle-disease
This is true, but usually for lesser quality activated carbon. I have read from multiple sources that premium carbon (such as Rox 0.8) that is much cleaner (less fines) are much less likely to cause HLLE. It is the stuff you have to rinse forever that never seems to come clean that seems to be the culprit.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back