OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there has been a lot of negativity about the accuracy, some of the detractors have now purchased there own ICP machines (-)

here is the LOD expectation from the LAB

http://www.triton-lab.de/fileadmin/user_upload/triton-lab/TRITON_LOD.pdf

as I understand it, you need three certified samples one at the lowest concentration you are interested in one at the highest concentration and one in between, the LOD is the limit of detection what the device has been calibrated properly

Yes, I have that LOD report already downloaded and reviewed.

I'm not against Triton testing at all and have used it quite a lot. But there are limits to ICP-OES and I'm learning more about them. All validating my original thoughts which goes back quite some time. Also, I've been learning of other more precise methods which all have their own complexities and limits.

Seawater is wonderfully complex especially at the trace levels.

Last edited:

Gary Wilkinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have that LOD report already downloaded and reviewed.

I'm not against Triton testing at all and have used it quite a lot. But there are limits to ICP-OES and I'm learning more about them. All validating my original thoughts which goes back quite some time. Also, I've been learning of other more precise methods which all have their own complexities and limits.

Seawater is wonderfully complex especially at the trace levels.

agreed

It looks like we have been following a similar path, TRITON was a Paradigm shift in my understanding of the rather complex composition and interactions of sea water, its been like going to school again for me
it will be very interesting to learn what's next (-)

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We also don't know what their testing methods are which can make ICP-OES more or less effective particularly at this trace levels.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That plate is still floating around.

2b0c7381e94d79687d75243050af163b.jpg

OGFrenchHorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying this is the cause but I've lost almost all my zoas, my toadstool shriveled up, my flowerpot has been fading away, and my inferno nem has been recently deflating at night. All my SPS is looking great though. I'm going to see if anything changes now that the marinepure is out.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying this is the cause but I've lost almost all my zoas, my toadstool shriveled up, my flowerpot has been fading away, and my inferno nem has been recently deflating at night. All my SPS is looking great though. I'm going to see if anything changes now that the marinepure is out.
Well, did you provide another media for bacteria to grow on/in? And did you pull all that out at once?

If either answer is yes then I'm sure you'll see some kind of reaction.

FYI my goniopora has been growing really rather well regardless of the marine pure being in the tank or not. As well as my anemones. And well everything except my Yellow Fiji Leather but only on initial introduction.

Around Jan 2016
e88eb4caa07e9cba94ec66d61ed85687.jpg

August 2016
63eea6877d21ceab4bf5aef0832f0aba.jpg

A couple days ago showing a little more growth
dd5203541a2ed96b397fd0a670ab9a58.jpg

But it's my bubbletips I love
Around Jan 2016
82f5e0c74d0d540a961df54c0ebab87f.jpg

Tonight
5603ac1991ba9452183c97c8572b3294.jpg

And my other little anemone which was sold as a minimax but I believe is a rock flower. Taken tonight. Which believe it or not that little thing was even smaller when I got it. Like pinky nail size.
2fdd94676ac5161185c8d2aacef3b3ea.jpg

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, my sponges hate it too and recedes on initially putting it in which takes a while to grow back.

This one has taken a beating and is the worse I've seen it. Can see the yellow leather recovering. This is from tonight too.
4d813d53ac9ca377771b31e5c4ae3895.jpg

OGFrenchHorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, did you provide another media for bacteria to grow on/in? And did you pull all that out at once?

If either answer is yes then I'm sure you'll see some kind of reaction.

FYI my goniopora has been growing really rather well regardless of the marine pure being in the tank or not. As well as my anemones. And well everything except my Yellow Fiji Leather but only on initial introduction.

Around Jan 2016
e88eb4caa07e9cba94ec66d61ed85687.jpg

August 2016
63eea6877d21ceab4bf5aef0832f0aba.jpg

A couple days ago showing a little more growth
dd5203541a2ed96b397fd0a670ab9a58.jpg

But it's my bubbletips I love
Around Jan 2016
82f5e0c74d0d540a961df54c0ebab87f.jpg

Tonight
5603ac1991ba9452183c97c8572b3294.jpg

And my other little anemone which was sold as a minimax but I believe is a rock flower. Taken tonight. Which believe it or not that little thing was even smaller when I got it. Like pinky nail size.
2fdd94676ac5161185c8d2aacef3b3ea.jpg

I also run a zeovit reactor for bacteria. I ran both together for about a year now. Everything was doing great until this past June. That's when my zoas started melting. I tested all my parameters ( alk. Cal. Mg. Po4, and No3) and there hasn't been any change.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run a zeovit reactor for bacteria. I ran both together for about a year now. Everything was doing great until this past June. That's when my zoas started melting. I tested all my parameters ( alk. Cal. Mg. Po4, and No3) and there hasn't been any change.

Thats tough to have corals going south like that with no idea why. I hope they all recover.

OGFrenchHorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats tough to have corals going south like that with no idea why. I hope they all recover.

I know! Some zoas started coming back after a huge water change but just melted again. I'm not sure if this was the problem or not but I'll do 25% water changes over the next week to see if it helps.

The tank was doing great with the marinepure blocks for about a year.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That plate is still floating around.

Strange that. Mine sank right into the sump. I saw another thread here where someone had a Xport brick that was a floater. I'm guessing that there's a defect inside that's trapping air.

I don't have sponges or leathers, so no visible reactions in the tank to the marinepure or Bioplate that I added. I do plan to get a ICP test before long. Curious what Al levels will be in my tank (along with all the others I can't test for).

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw I also just ordered a brightwell bio block from Marine Depot which till this Friday comes with a free bottle of MB7.

I can then compare the blocks as well and see if my plate is a one off being a floater. My plate finally sank last night. I'll also see how well it wicks the water. The MarinePure was much better at that then the bio plate which could explain why the plate floated for so long.

Then I can also look at the MB7 under the microscope and compare to the Dr. Tim's one and only, eco balance, and IO's Bio Spira. So far the one and only was the only one out of those three that I found no live bacteria.

Then I'm also planning on a setup and testing where I can find out if Triton is right in saying GFO can uptake Al. I should have enough Al in my water to find out by putting some in a bucket with GFO running for a month.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dang! I use these for my fresh water tanks and would use it in a fish only one salt too, I would have paid shipping! Better than tossing, they are expensive.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I'm so backed up and overloaded with work right now but I did get that block into my sump a couple days ago. I really do like all the size options between Marine Pure's bigger blocks/plates and these smaller blocks and plates. Can really fill in the space with out having to cut the media. Once cut or broke these just crumble so easily.

I could easily fit a couple more blocks and plates into my sump. I still like the size of the Marine Pure. I also feel like the Marine Pure blocks were lighter though I did not weigh them. The Marine Pure blocks did wick the water faster so I feel they are a slightly better media but they are large. Yes they have small cubes and spheres but I'd rather have a larger product but not to large they have to but cut. Which comes in these brightwell xport blocks and plates. They definitely have the surface area just like the Marine Pure and would be a great home for bacteria. I still don't believe their claims on how much surface area vs other products like the Marine Pure. However, the xport media may have more surface area just don't know how much. I think it was BRS that has an analysis done on either GAC or Rocks that showed surface area analysis so it would be interested for them to do the same with these ceramic block media.

The xport bio block did not float like the plate did initially. It holds a good amount of water and allows water running to pass right through it just like the Marine Pure blocks did for me as well. Though the Marine pure passed the water through easier as seen by the exiting of the water on the other side. It would pass through in a smaller exit point slightly larger diameter then the entry water stream . with the Marine Pure but with the xport block the water would enter at a single point on top and drain out the entire surface area of the bottom of the block. Interestingly if turning the xport block so the dimples are down the water would exit out each of the dimples with some spillage beyond that. If that all makes sense.

265de773f515c22d5c7a5c247c88a9ec.jpg

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it but did the block add Aluminum ?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back