How much Aluminum will it leach? Let's guess

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know how much these cost but is the block just to add more filtration? If so wouldn't a few sticks of Tonga work? Tonga is very porus

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know how much these cost but is the block just to add more filtration? If so wouldn't a few sticks of Tonga work? Tonga is very porus

Absolutely adding more Rock will work great. The benefit of these are they add a lot of surface area for bacteria to grown on in a very small space.

markster33139

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Marine Depot video on the Brightwell product states that it leaches nothing due to the manufacturing process, anyone find otherwise?

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Marine Depot video on the Brightwell product states that it leaches nothing due to the manufacturing process, anyone find otherwise?

The marine depot video is just repeating Brightwell's marketing. Marine Pure also states their product does not leach Aluminum at all.

I'm test the xports now.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first Triton result. I have both Xport plate and MarinePure block

upload_2016-10-28_15-46-59.png

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, my Al levels are now right around 100ug/l.

:eek::cool:

There is absolutely no doubt now in my mind that the Marine Pure Blocks leach Al regardless of what their marketing says. What form or what kind of effects it has in a tank I do not know other then initial negative reactions of adding the blocks or disturbing them.

So, 1 month after adding a Marine Pure block the levels went from around 0-2ug/l (typical of IO as seen in my saltmix parameters thread) and climbed to around 19ug/l. About 4 months later having the blocks in the levels rose to ~100ug/l.

c540b108f810bf5668df143d1959b89b.jpg

It's not something I expected to have he Al levels increase as much as that so I will have to do something different to test out the Brightwell bio block or plate. I will have to buy another one. There's way to much interference with the Marine Pure block in my tank to know which would be causing an increase if I do another Triton test.

1. Get a batch of saltwater mixed up and get a Triton test on it. (Will have to get another mix I haven't done yet to help my other saltmix parameter thread)
2. Get another block and let it sit in the bucket for 3 months with circulation going
3. Remove the block and get a Triton test
4. Run a good amount of GFO to see if it will bind Al. (assuming Al has increased a decent amount in those 3 months)
5. Let the GFO run for a couple weeks and get another Triton test.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's my meme of John Stewart eating popcorn when I need it

lol thanks.

This whole thing started because of my skepticism of their claims. As I am with many marketing claims. copy/paste from my post on the other site: For me its about the truth. There's so much bad marketing out there its hard to know what's real or not. This seemed one easy thing that I could test. Marine Pure specifically says they will not leach anything, will not alter your water chemistry, and are completely inert.

Brightwell/Kent is also claiming basically the same thing with their new product. Brightwell is trying very hard to not say Ceramic at all in their description and Kent (continuum) at least calls it what it is which is a ceramic. So, we will see.

blizzardscout2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your enlightening discussion. I'm curious to see your results from the Brightwell product.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to your tests! I wonder if there is any way for us to differentiate what form of Al it releases into the system?

Testing for different forms of aluminum (which I assume means Al+++ free or bound to organics vs very fine particulates of Al2O3 or Al(OH)3) is extraordinarily difficult.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do aluminum frame tank covers pose a possible source of Al in tanks , mine get wet and there is corrosion on the ends where they were cut to size

Yes, if it drips or flakes into the tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again I cannot say for sure that AI is not being leached into my system but I do feel very confident it is not having any kind of ill effects on the system. .

Leather corals are among those that seem most sensitive to aluminum. Those were what traditionally showed problems when using products such as Phosguard and in my tests, responded by closing with added aluminum.

blizzardscout2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leather corals are among those that seem most sensitive to aluminum. Those were what traditionally showed problems when using products such as Phosguard and in my tests, responded by closing with added aluminum.

I experienced this first hand. My toadstool began slowly melting after beginning to use Phosguard. It took over a month for the occurrence began. Nothing else was changed. I had no idea leathers were sensitive to Al. Makes sense now. Unfortunately my 2' leather is about 6" now.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experienced this first hand. My toadstool began slowly melting after beginning to use Phosguard. It took over a month for the occurrence began. Nothing else was changed. I had no idea leathers were sensitive to Al. Makes sense now. Unfortunately my 2' leather is about 6" now.

You had a 2 foot leather???? Wow, do you have a picture?

Back