How much BRS kalk should I add

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi all,

I'm trying to incorporate kalk dosing along with my existing 2 part dosing in my 75g tank. I just want a boost in pH so here is what I'm working with:

15ml dosing a day of KH and CA of Brightwell A and B to keep my Alk at 8.7dkh and CA at 420.

I can back off on dosing the 15ml and start adding Kalk and my plan is 10ml/day with 2 part dosing and make up the 5ml with Kalk.

I'm planning to dose via dosing pump from a 5 gallon saturated kalk solution ( 1 tablespoon per gallon mix)

The question is how much Kalkwasser should I dose per day and how often to achieve the 15ml total that the 2 part was providing me.

Thank you all in advance.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm playing around with this calculator: https://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

It looks like in 75 gallons, 15 mLs of the Brightwell Reefcode part B would increase alk by 0.5 dKH. It would take about 1/3 gallon or 1.25 liters to do the same. Split kalk into several doses over the day. You'll have to go through some trial and error to get it dialed in just right.

I might start with 1 liter per day of kalk, if your doser has the capability, and then test alk daily for a week or so. Then figure out how much 2 part you need to add.

OP
OP
Yazannreef

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm playing around with this calculator: https://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

It looks like in 75 gallons, 15 mLs of the Brightwell Reefcode part B would increase alk by 0.5 dKH. It would take about 1/3 gallon or 1.25 liters to do the same. Split kalk into several doses over the day. You'll have to go through some trial and error to get it dialed in just right.

I might start with 1 liter per day of kalk, if your doser has the capability, and then test alk daily for a week or so. Then figure out how much 2 part you need to add.
Thank you very much for the Swift response. So you are suggesting:

Stop the 2 part dosing all together and start kalk dosing 1/3 gallon/ day to see if that achieves the 15ml per day/ 0.5dkh drop that 2 part was providing. If not then either increase the kalk dosage or supplement the rest with the 2 part dosing instead.

I think I got it right unless I didn't lol. Please confirm.

Kindly appreciate it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need to stop the two part entirely, if your plan is to only replace some, but the pH boost from 0.5 dKH of pure kalkwasser is not excessively high, and probably isn't even as high as you want. So replacing all may be the best plan.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop the 2 part dosing all together and start kalk dosing 1/3 gallon/ day to see if that achieves the 15ml per day/ 0.5dkh drop that 2 part was providing. If not then either increase the kalk dosage or supplement the rest with the 2 part dosing instead.
Yes, exactly. Start with roughly that amount and track alk daily for a few days and adjust as needed. You can go all kalk, or just dose some, or whatever you want. As Randy said, 0.5 dKH may not move your pH much.

OP
OP
Yazannreef

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You do not need to stop the two part entirely, if your plan is to only replace some, but the pH boost from 0.5 dKH of pure kalkwasser is not excessively high, and probably isn't even as high as you want. So replacing all may be the best plan.
Thanks for the input. I'm going to start there then phase the 2 parts out as I get an idea of how much I need down the line. Slow and study is the way to go!

OP
OP
Yazannreef

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thank you guys so much for the input.

I know my tank consumes 30ml of 2 part /day but I decreased it due to dinoflagellates taking over my tank which I'm battling right now and the battle is going the right direction as of today ( threw the kitchen sink at them and I can see improvement now)

I will definitely have to increase the amount I dose as the SPS recover and start growing and consuming again.

Thank you again for your awesome help

OP
OP
Yazannreef

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Just want to confirm that 1250ml dosing via neptune dose will achieve the 15ml 2 parts that brightwell was giving me?

I'm about to fire it up and want to make sure of the amount.

I will spread it over 24 hours period.

Thanks alot
Yes, exactly. Start with roughly that amount and track alk daily for a few days and adjust as needed. You can go all kalk, or just dose some, or whatever you want. As Randy said, 0.5 dKH may not move your pH much.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to confirm that 1250ml dosing via neptune dose will achieve the 15ml 2 parts that brightwell was giving me?

Thanks alot

Demand for calcium and alk changes with both the alk and pH values, so one cannot usually make swaps of methods without adjusting. Kalkwasser is also often not fully saturated if delivered by reactor.

But based on a straight calculation, 15 mL Brightwell Reef Code A and B is matched by 1.09 Liters of saturated limewater (kalkwasser).

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks alot
Theoretically, that math works out.

Randy brings up good points about alk demand possibly being more in a kalk system and about if the kalk isn't saturated. With those variables, I would start with 1250 mLs and test every day and adjust after a week or so. Kalk is a bit trial and error.

clarimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kalkaska is kalkwasser right?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back