How much does it cost you to ship overnight? And what can i do to help reduce it

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i shipped out 2 boxes yesterday fedex overnight. Both boxes were 6x6x6 with heat pack, 4 specimen containers half way full, to the midwest from east coast. one was 67 other was 69. I was like whoa, that sucks. I shipped them anyway because i want the corals to get there alive and well. But when i had a price of 100 which included shipping, hurts. Was thinking it would be around 50-55.

I don't ship a ton, what can i do to help reduce the cost without risking the corals.

Thanks for the help.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Fed-Ex for two years and I love them. Unfortunately, to get better discounts you need to ship a lot. We shipped 700+ coolers in 2013 (with almost zero losses BTW) and our discounts keep getting better. There is really no "cheap" way to fly a box around the country via overnight air, and when you start adding heavy things like frozen food it only gets worse.

When your account is set up call and speak to your dedicated rep and explain what type of plan you are looking for. They can tailor one with stronger discounts for ground or air, depending on which you do more of. If you start shipping more they will supply a thermal printer, labels and everything else you need. We live in a rural area and after 14 months of increased volume they added a pick up route to come here for outbound shipments instead of me driving to the drop off everyday.

BTW- The Fed Ex app for the iPhone is awesome.

Good luck.

Larry

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All about getting a local rep and volume shipping. I won't get into crazy detail but the discounts are available if you ship enough. For example I can ship you a box up to 5 pounds regardless of size over night 10am delivery and it will run me around 15-18 bucks. If your on the east coast it will be less then 10 many times. If I go over 5 pounds the price jumps to 20-25 but still a great deal. Heck when I sold retail I shipped for less then anyone and I STILL made money on shipping. My shipping rate was how I was able to sell corals so cheap. I don't sell retail any longer but even on the wholesale side of things it helps me be extremely hard to compete with.

See these account reps can 100% make the deal. They just need to show that the company will make money in volume instead of on a single peice. So like I said, get a rep and start making friends

Last edited:

Usctom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you link your ebay account to your fedex you get nice size percent knocked off. USPS express is going to be the cheapest.

Usctom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thru ebay. I would just google link fedex account to ebay.

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup have scales but over all you get the feel for the weight. Many times I don't even bother

Newwaterville

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first post :0) I've used all (fedex, ups and post office) believe it or not Usps express can save you a few bucks. I have shipped a bunch last year and half was with post office.... good experience with them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back