How much Dry Rock

DerekJames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Everyone,

I am new to the saltwater hobby and I have been doing lots of research the past year and a half. I have all of my equipment already the only thing that I am having a hard time with is sand and Dry rock. I have a 90 gallon Reef ready tank with the Aqueon ProFlexâ„¢ Modular Sump Filtration Model 4 - 29.25 gallons Volume represents the maximum volume of water that the sump holds when set up in the Refugium configuration. How much dry rock would I need to put into my system. I plan on doing FOWLR for the first year or so to get the hang of the saltwater hobby before is spend the money on corals I want to make sure i have the hang of things. Now when it comes to sand i really like the look of the Florida Crushed Coral. I have it in my 40 gallon Cichlid tank and love the look and also has stabilized my PH and also love the extra surface area for beneficial Bacteria. I know for certain fish like Sand Sifting Gobies you cant go to big with the sand grains but i dont want anything small that will get blown around my tank. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Derek Authement

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I made the mistake in my 75G with the 1 - 1.5 pounds per gallon... I ordered 120 pounds of dry rock from BRS and it was WAY too much... It weighs less when dry, DUH!

So for a 90 gallon I would start with 50 - 60 pounds dry... Build the aquascape how you want it and have a few extra pieces. It's better to have enough to make what you want than run out and have to order more...

Last edited:

sureal00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasted way too much in live rock in the beginning.I would agree 50-60 in the beginning and build an aquascape you like and buy more rock if needed.

kfoerster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I am also new to the hobby and just over purchased 50 pounds of BRS Reef Saver dry rock for my 60G cube. After aquascaping I have 4 large pieces left over, probably about 15-20 pounds worth.

OP
OP
D

DerekJames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank yall for the advice i would hate to buy too much for sure. What is yall thoughts on the sand situation??

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the Caribsea Aragonite Live Sand... However I rinsed it before using to get all the dust out so it probably wasn't live anymore.

I am not a fan of crushed coral substrate as it can trap detritus and cause an increase in nitrates. The Aragonite allows for sand dwellers to help prevent that.

OP
OP
D

DerekJames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cdness does this sand stay in place well i dont want a sand that blows around real easy i want a sand that can handle a moderate to high flow tank.

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started out I thought crushed coral was a great idea too, turns out I was wrong. It accumulates a lot of detritus rather than helping to clean the water, and it just doesn't give that amazing "reef tank" look quite like sand does. As long as your powerheads aren't pointing directly at the sand anything besides a "fine" grain will work. Personally I use "Fiji pink" from caribsea. I think it looks great and always holds its nice crisp white color. As far as rock goes I think the above statements are correct, but there's no guideline you have to stick by. Minimalist aquascapes look great, and you can avoid the "rock pile" look that having too much rock seems to produce. In the end its all up to you and what look you want to have in YOUR tank. :)

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you figure sand coverage? I have a 75 and from the sound of it way overbought rock. That's OK because it will give me more options on scaping. I am leaning toward getting aragonite from Marco and was wandering if 40 pounds was enough.

OP
OP
D

DerekJames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a mixed review and im new to the saltwater hobby but ive had freshwater tanks all my life but too much isn't good and not enough isn't good neither.

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a mixed review and im new to the saltwater hobby but ive had freshwater tanks all my life but too much isn't good and not enough isn't good neither.
After taking to many people it seems that 2"or less is a good depth unless you go deep which I do not want to do.

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 inches is a pretty good level, unless you want your sandline to be under your trim on the tank I wouldn't go below 2", anything above 4" is getting into the deepsand bed section.

OP
OP
D

DerekJames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 inches is what I've always had in all my aquariums and always worked great and looked good as well your tanks is 48X18 correct?

OP
OP
D

DerekJames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If so you would need 100 lbs of dry sand and 130 lbs of wet sand to acheve a 2 inch sand debt give or take a few pounds.

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes 48x18. My plan is to do the scape then put sand so, I guess I would need a little less than that because the rock will take up some of the room. Is that correct?

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 93 42.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 110 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back