How much dusty green algae is too much?

AmberL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my tank in April. I have a 90 gallon tank. I have a phosphate reactor that I run with Sea Gel. I have 2 clowns, a midas blenny, a diamond goby, 2 sand shifting stars, and CUC. I have a green plate coral (frag), a candy cane (1 frag), a finger leather, daisy polyps, green star polyps, a few orange zoas, and frog spawn (very small frag).

Every day I have to use my magna-float to clean off dusty green algae. A lady I know said she only uses her magna-float about once a week. Do I have too much algae? How much is too much? What can I do to lessen it?

Thanks!

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old are your bulbs, how much and how often do you feed? And how long is your photo period? Just trying to get and idea of what the usual issues come from. Could be something else.

dmorazan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you parameters. type of lighting and is it exposed to sun light,that will be a start to find out what is going on

OP
OP
A

AmberL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old are your bulbs, how much and how often do you feed? And how long is your photo period? Just trying to get and idea of what the usual issues come from. Could be something else.

I purchased my bulbs in April when I set up my tank. I feed enough for the fish to eat for 3 minutes (I add the frozen mysis shrimp or pellets gradually during this period). I feed between 1 and 2 times per day. My my main lights turn on at 11am and turn off at 8pm. My LED strip turns on at 10am and turns off at 10pm.

OP
OP
A

AmberL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you parameters. type of lighting and is it exposed to sun light,that will be a start to find out what is going on

My parameters:
Salt: 1.024
Temp: 77-79 (no heater on)
Ammo: 0
N-trite: 0
N-trate: 0
Alk: 9 dKH
Cal: 420 ppm
Phos: 0
Mag: 1330 ppm

There is some sunlight that comes into the room, but the tank is 10 feet from the nearest window.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I rinsed my frozen mysis when I feed my tank. I wased in RO water. It seemed to help some. Other than that, have you tested or had your water tested? Also, what type of lighting (mh, pc, t5, led)?

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I rinsed my frozen mysis when I feed my tank. I wased in RO water. It seemed to help some. Other than that, have you tested or had your water tested? Also, what type of lighting (mh, pc, t5, led)?

Didn't refresh quick enough on my testing question.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fyi, I recently went thru my sump and found a pile of junk sitting in a corner. I cleaned the sump out and placed a powerhead in there for no dead spots. I haven't had issues yet. I'm cleaning my glass about every 10 days.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut your main light time down to 7 maybe 8 hours. See if that helps. Also the window is 10the feet away but do you have a lamp sitting right next to the tank? Sounds like a stupid question but when I had my first tank it use to sit by the couch and the lamp on the end table made the glass grow algae.

OP
OP
A

AmberL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I started rinsing my mysis about 2 months ago, but the algae didn't subside. I have 4 high output T5s and one LED strip.

Just fyi, I recently went thru my sump and found a pile of junk sitting in a corner. I cleaned the sump out and placed a powerhead in there for no dead spots. I haven't had issues yet. I'm cleaning my glass about every 10 days.

I do have some stuff in my sump. I'll try getting a small powerhead. How many gph did you use?

how about flow

I have two 1400 gph powerheads.

Cut your main light time down to 7 maybe 8 hours. See if that helps. Also the window is 10the feet away but do you have a lamp sitting right next to the tank? Sounds like a stupid question but when I had my first tank it use to sit by the couch and the lamp on the end table made the glass grow algae.

I'll cut the lights back. The nearest lamp is about 7 feet from the tank.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on total gph. Just enough to have a current throughout the entire sump without making waves.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to use my mag float 2 times a day, I thought that was pretty normal. It really is not a problem, some people just have different growth rates.

mistaflicksta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it but what is your TDS on your top off water or your water change water. also what king of skimmer are you running? This matters more than rinsing food. What is your fuel level and what are you doing to reduce it is the answer to sucessful tanks

dmorazan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is good food for your filter feeders like clams and at night you see the pod all over the glass.

OP
OP
A

AmberL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it but what is your TDS on your top off water or your water change water. also what king of skimmer are you running? This matters more than rinsing food. What is your fuel level and what are you doing to reduce it is the answer to sucessful tanks

I don't know what the TDS is on my top off water - I'm assuming it's 0. I buy RO/DI water from my LFS. I'm running a Vertex IN-180 skimmer. I just found the manual - it's designed for 100-180 gallon tanks; my tank is 90.

Raggamuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't assume on the store water, after years of using my LFS "ro/di" I found out it is really just RO and on top of that that change the filters about once a year...

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be too worried about the algae, given the parameters you have listed and age of your tank. Sounds like you are doing a good job, and tanks go through natural cycles. Give it time, and keep up the great husbandry. Also, the diffused natural sunlight coming in through the window is likely adding to your issues, and extending your photoperiod. My tank has faced the same problem for years, in different homes. Try to keep the room as dark as possible until the tank lights come on. Good blinds have helped me a lot.

OP
OP
A

AmberL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be too worried about the algae, given the parameters you have listed and age of your tank. Sounds like you are doing a good job, and tanks go through natural cycles. Give it time, and keep up the great husbandry. Also, the diffused natural sunlight coming in through the window is likely adding to your issues, and extending your photoperiod. My tank has faced the same problem for years, in different homes. Try to keep the room as dark as possible until the tank lights come on. Good blinds have helped me a lot.

Thanks. We don't have blinds in the room that the tank is in. We live in the country and no one can see our house from the road, so there's no need for blinds in the living room. We are moving in a year, so I'm not sure if I'll invest in blinds for this house, but when we set up our new house, I'll definitely look into getting blinds! Thanks.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back