How much electric does your tank cost you?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely the lighting. 400w x 4 metal halide.and 4x 80w t5s. Pumps and uv sterilizer and apex. Probably cost me 60$ a month for my tanks electricity costs. And thats at .07 kw/h

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last time I figured out my electricity cost per month I determined that it was roughly $45 where I live. It's going to change pretty drastically based upon the time of year for me because I use outside air for my skimmer, so during the winter my heaters have to run a lot more often. The price paid will also change based upon your price per kWh where you live.

I use roughly 400 kWh per month for my tank. The lights and heater are almost all of the usage with the heaters being the most ecspecially during the winter. I'll also go ahead and mention that my tank is a 125g because obviously the size of the tank effects the cost too.

I actually just looked and my cost per kWh has gone up enough that apparently it costs me around $60/month. Now I wish I wouldn't have looked at your thread LOL.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 560 gallon with 110 gallon frag tank cost me $93.70 a month according to my apex at .16 kh

C13E82E3-85E2-4091-8A10-C3EFBE2D3DCF.png

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last time I figured out my electricity cost per month I determined that it was roughly $45 where I live. It's going to change pretty drastically based upon the time of year for me because I use outside air for my skimmer, so during the winter my heaters have to run a lot more often. The price paid will also change based upon your price per kWh where you live.

I use roughly 400 kWh per month for my tank. The lights and heater are almost all of the usage with the heaters being the most ecspecially during the winter. I'll also go ahead and mention that my tank is a 125g because obviously the size of the tank effects the cost too.

I actually just looked and my cost per kWh has gone up enough that apparently it costs me around $60/month. Now I wish I wouldn't have looked at your thread LOL.
Lol I guess I should have put in a warning or something

SillyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A thing very often overlooked. Also why I don’t run sump in basement, just a heat drain.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many tanks we talking?! A shop full?! Dang!

One 120 gal, with sumps etc. in basement.

Lots of electricity for mh lighting, several big pumps (iwaki 55RLT on skimmer, 2 x 40 RLT return pumps, and loads of heaters.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would estimate $50 for my 120 with 2 250 watt MH and 2 OR3 light bars.
My 45 frag system runs 1 250 watt MH.
Adding a 150 watt MH to my remote fuge soon.
I do not run heaters in my systems from May through end of September.
Most all my equipment is Tunze so low watt pumps compaired to others.

reefnfun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Approximately 80 bucks a month for me. I have a basement sump with a reeflo hammerhead pump to get the water back upstairs. 2X400W 1 250W MH upstairs. Downstairs 4X250W MH for the tank and sump. Basically they are for heat. I have Duke Energy. They sent me a notice and asked me if I wanted flat rate electricity. It is not budget but flat rate. You do not settle up at the end of the year. If you use less they do not credit you. If you use more you don't have to pay. I signed up immediately. I thought this is almost to good to be true. They had my usage analysis on the offer. It was 7 bucks a month more than the budget plan. 7 bucks a month was definitely worth the peace of mind that I do not have to worry about power. The electric company is very smart. I am sure I am not pulling one over on them. I do not abuse it either. I love the letters they send me with the graphs. Efficient house graph on the bottom, Average house graph in the middle and my house the graph is almost off the chart lol.

Back