How much flow is too much?

Charlie brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What reef fam so I just set up my first nano reef tank it's a 14 gallon simple set up I put together now my question is about flow I have a 3 watt 500 gpm wave maker and it does a good job creating a nice circulation and also have a hob filter just to run some more surface agitation and run carbon or filter floss when needed but in your guys opinion would adding another 3 watt power head be too much? I've seen other nano tanks with 2 power heads but they are 29g tanks with stronger power heads. Flow is soft on bottom of the sand bed in my tank and med to high as you reach the top just worried that it might be to soft of flow on bottom and also worried that if I add another power head to help with flow on bottom that it would be over kill

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you keeping? Is there an issue you are having right now to suggest you possibly need more flow?

OP
OP
Charlie brown

Charlie brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you keeping? Is there an issue you are having right now to suggest you possibly need more flow?
I have some lps and sps mixed reef right now my corals seem to be doing fine they look happy but I'm adding some frags I ordered on line some hammers acans and a few other corals so I'm just wondering if they would benefit from a more turbulent flow my ginoapora get a gentle flow where they are right now but it's almost too soft. So just looking for some more insight on this with it being a 14g

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s not broken don’t fix it, without seeing your flow and how your corals are reacting it’s hard to say either way regardless.

OP
OP
Charlie brown

Charlie brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s not broken don’t fix it, without seeing your flow and how your corals are reacting it’s hard to say either way regardless.
Gotcha I got my corals this morning and after the whole process of acclamation and dipping they look like they enjoy the flow acans nice and puffy zoa opening up and candy's are nice and puffed up where I put them for the time being thanks for the input

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem happy reefing :)
Gotcha I got my corals this morning and after the whole process of acclamation and dipping they look like they enjoy the flow acans nice and puffy zoa opening up and candy's are nice and puffed up where I put them for the time being thanks for the input

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back