How much Kalkwasser?

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm losing 1.2 dKH per day. I have a 55 gallon mixed reef tank, with 4 SPS, 4 LPS, and a mix of shrooms and leathers. I'm dosing the tank daily, recently, to slowly raise my Alkalinity to the 8 to 9 range, and am now ready to dose my ATO water with Kalkwasser. How much do you think I should start with? 1 teaspoon per gallon? Or is that a tough question since the evaporation rate of my tank can be different than someone else's, and can also vary throughout the year?

OP
OP
GoPitt88

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI....I'm replacing between 2 and 2.5 gallons per week from my ATO due to evaporation.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly reccomend using the reef chemistry calculator.
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

And yes , you are correct , there is some difficulty in using just the ato for consistent kalk delivery.

I believe many or most using kalk exclusively to maintain a specific dkh drip or dose directly to the tank because of the inconsistency of the ato delivery and because of the amount of kalk needed to maintain a specific dkh.

Fwiw kalk is generally measured as saturated kalk (mixed). I.e. Before automated dosing, I used 300ml of saturated limewasswer in my 2.5 gallon ato resivor and refilled it once a week.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm losing 1.2 dKH per day. I have a 55 gallon mixed reef tank, with 4 SPS, 4 LPS, and a mix of shrooms and leathers. I'm dosing the tank daily, recently, to slowly raise my Alkalinity to the 8 to 9 range, and am now ready to dose my ATO water with Kalkwasser. How much do you think I should start with? 1 teaspoon per gallon? Or is that a tough question since the evaporation rate of my tank can be different than someone else's, and can also vary throughout the year?

A half gallon of fully saturated limewater (kalkwasser) will boost alk by about 1 dKH in your tank. You need 8 dKH per week, and only evaporate 2-2.5 gallons, so may not be able to maintain alk and calcium with limewater alone (if your numbers are correct).

Starting with 1 tsp per gallons seems fine, but expect to have to raise it.

OP
OP
GoPitt88

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A half gallon of fully saturated limewater (kalkwasser) will boost alk by about 1 dKH in your tank. You need 8 dKH per week, and only evaporate 2-2.5 gallons, so may not be able to maintain alk and calcium with limewater alone (if your numbers are correct).

Starting with 1 tsp per gallons seems fine, but expect to have to raise it.

Thanks for the info! [emoji846]

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUOTE="Malifry97, post: 6589622, member: 131738"]
I have a 36 bowfront with no ATO yet. How much Kalk should I add per gallon for a BTA and a large pipe coral?
[/QUOTE]

Just those 2 corals shouldn't use that much nutrients. I would think water changes would be okay with just those 2. I might be wrong but I have a way more coral than that and I just started to have to use kalkwasser.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUOTE="Malifry97, post: 6589622, member: 131738"]
I have a 36 bowfront with no ATO yet. How much Kalk should I add per gallon for a BTA and a large pipe coral?

Just those 2 corals shouldn't use that much nutrients. I would think water changes would be okay with just those 2. I might be wrong but I have a way more coral than that and I just started to have to use kalkwasser.
[/QUOTE]
Ok thank you!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back