How Much Phosphate Can a Phosphate-Free Limestone Absorb?

JonasRoman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 6, 2015
Messages
1,408
Reaction score
558
Location
Sweden
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again, this is a follow up study from me from my previos phosphate kinetic study. I do the opposite here, try to quantify the absorbtion by measure Po4 in the surrounding water. Finished that today aswell.

/Jonas
 

Attachments

I would think that number varies depending on the size of the stone.
 
Hi again, this is a follow up study from me from my previos phosphate kinetic study. I do the opposite here, try to quantify the absorbtion by measure Po4 in the surrounding water. Finished that today aswell.

/Jonas

Do you have a link to that study?
 
I would think that number varies depending on the size of the stone.
I think it mostly depends on:
  • Overall surface area, which is proportional to size and porosity/density
  • Bacterial activity (which this study purposefully excluded, so we can ignore that)
  • Water flow (which might have a bigger impact when there is bacterial activity, but I'm not sure)
@JonasRoman The HannaChecker HI736 has a precision of of 5µg/L = 0.005mg/L. I assume T+2 (0.125mg/L) and T+3 (0.130mg/L) are simply within this error tolerance, or do you think a dropping pH over time could have re-dissolved some phosphate? Do you still know the T+4 oder T+5 measurements?
 
I think it mostly depends on:
  • Overall surface area, which is proportional to size and porosity/density
  • Bacterial activity (which this study purposefully excluded, so we can ignore that)
  • Water flow (which might have a bigger impact when there is bacterial activity, but I'm not sure)
@JonasRoman The HannaChecker HI736 has a precision of of 5µg/L = 0.005mg/L. I assume T+2 (0.125mg/L) and T+3 (0.130mg/L) are simply within this error tolerance, or do you think a dropping pH over time could have re-dissolved some phosphate? Do you still know the T+4 oder T+5 measurements?
The 2 last value I conside as same as my methods accuracy is 0.005 mg/l PO4.

I agree about the possibility of variations. I think that this stine could absorb more. Tje water was not circulating and approx 22 degree C. With more cirk and warmer its building more hydroxyapatite. Also, the pH may have declined from initial 8.5, so also that could affect. The stone is porous and similar to those we use in tank.
So, with even longer waiting time, warmer, more circulating, and maybe another boost of NaOH to keep pH not below 8.5, would have continued the po4 absorption.
0.07 mg po4 for 300 gram stone is anyway interesting and tell us that stone can absorb a significant amount
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new