How much phyto?

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much phytoplankton should I have on hand for feeding rotifers for newly hatched clownfish fry?

I have 4 liters in the fridge and another 4 cooking.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many clownfish larvae are you feeding? How many rotifer cultures are you going to run? How much are you currently feeding your rotifer cultures?

OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many clownfish larvae are you feeding? How many rotifer cultures are you going to run? How much are you currently feeding your rotifer cultures?
The eggs are still being tended by the parents, I've been practicing my phyto and rotifers for the past month I believe I'm ready to give it a go.

Her last clutch there were around 100 eggs hatched. They will be in a 10 gallon tank until metamorphosis. Then move into a 20 gallon, if they make it that far.

I'm operating two buckets of rotifers, I add about 8 oz of phyto a day.

The only part throwing me off is using more phyto to tint the hatch tank because I've not gotten that far yet.

TrentLasVegas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 4 gallon glass jugs to keep the pods and 3 4 gallon jigs of Phyto. They seem to keep up with adding in the inevitable Phyto crashes you will have. Also I use ISO for my Phyto as it has better nutrition than Chloro has.

D E N I N O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gallons and gallons.

Honestly I would just give in and buy RG Complete. It's super concentrated phytoplankton, using this means you don't have to culture phyto.

Well worth the money.

OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started rg complete for culturing the rotifers but in the fry tank I add my phytoplankton, it seems to be working pretty well. Sustainable Aquatics is right down the road from me, they suggested I didn't use rg complete because it can foul the water faster. As long as I stay on top of my daily water changes I don't believe it's that much of an issue. When using home brew phyto I could go a week without a water change no problem.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back