How much PO4 is high level?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very high assuming you mean 0.7ppm and not 0.07ppm (about 23x higher than the usual recommendation). The typical recommendation here is no less than 0.03ppm and no greater than 0.1ppm, with the former being more ideal.

spielco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi!
I keep LPS and soft corals and I have 0,7 ppm PO4.
Is it high?
How much PO4 is maximum for reef tank?
Thanks a lot!
I’m a new reefer but I’d say that’s too high. The standard you read about is the whole .03 is goal but I’ve read that level can be just as dangerous as to high if your not paying close attention. If it dumps and zeros out that will throw a headache your way.

My nano cube has been running .25 and today just tested it was .4. I am starting to have some algae issues and believe that’s the cause.

Hopefully more experienced reefers will. E able to help guide ya.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An easy fix would be to add a bit of gfo into a very fine mesh bag and placed into a filter area with flow going throw it.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's high, there is some disagreement as to how bad that actually is. I think as a general target for most people, less than that is better. I'd aim for less than 0.2 ppm or so.

That said, there are plenty of beautiful tanks over 1 ppm, and my tank's last testing was at 0.7 ppm and my LPS and SPS have been doing pretty well with the exception of one browned out SPS.

I would pick a phosphate management strategy (water changes, algae scrubbing, growing macroalgae, GFO, lanthanum chloride, etc.) and start implementing it, but being at that level shouldn't be that dramatically harmful to much.

OP
OP
M

MiZuboov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's high, there is some disagreement as to how bad that actually is. I think as a general target for most people, less than that is better. I'd aim for less than 0.2 ppm or so.

That said, there are plenty of beautiful tanks over 1 ppm, and my tank's last testing was at 0.7 ppm and my LPS and SPS have been doing pretty well with the exception of one browned out SPS.

I would pick a phosphate management strategy (water changes, algae scrubbing, growing macroalgae, GFO, lanthanum chloride, etc.) and start implementing it, but being at that level shouldn't be that dramatically harmful to much.
Can you show your photo?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate over 0.9
Nitrates 52

Edit: I feel like I should provide some insight.

It's clear that corals don't mind the elevated nutrients, it seems that the reason for people shouting N and P need to be low, is to keep algae at bay. But I tend to look at a tank with overgrown algae and say, "you don't have an algae problem, you have a herbivore problem" meaning you don't have enough herbivores to keep algae down.

Should you strive for lower nutrients? Depends, if your tank is still new, then you want to monitor and maybe control, but as it matures and you have adequate herbivore population, then why fight it?

It's better to allow your tank to find its natural balance than having to constantly add some chemical to lower/raise a parameter.

Last edited:

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I tend to look at a tank with overgrown algae and say, "you don't have an algae problem, you have a herbivore problem" meaning you don't have enough herbivores to keep algae down.

Should you strive for lower nutrients? Depends, if your tank is still new, then you want to monitor and maybe control, but as it matures and you have adequate herbivore population, then why fight it?

I agree with the sentiment and the methodology, but there's one exception to this that rule that I think is notable (and which we don't know if applies here): if it's a nano.

Adequate herbivores do a great job managing nuisance algaes, but if the tank is too small for most of the big ones, you'll probably have to run lower nutrient levels to help control it. It takes a whole army of crabs and snails to have the kind of impact a single tang can have, and while an algae blenny or some urchins can eat a good volume, they're not going to hit spots frequently enough to keep it all in check.

So if your tank is new (< 1 year) or if it's too small for a tang, I would aim for lower phosphates, though I don't think the tens-of-ppb recommendations that have gone around for so long are that important unless you're looking specifically for pastel colors in SPS.

OP
OP
M

MiZuboov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is my tank.

I edited my post to add some insight.

What's the secret ingredient? Time
How I understand, high level of N and P in perfect marin aquarium is more exceptional rather than the rule?
Why? It’s just the statistics of communication with different people

I think It's not about algae. Usually, where there are algae, corals grow poorly, but you have them growing very well

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
I keep LPS and soft corals and I have 0,7 ppm PO4.
Is it high?
How much PO4 is maximum for reef tank?
Thanks a lot!
Common is .03 to .1 but many tanks are successful at higher levels I currently run gfo for 30 minutes a day and my levels stay around .3 have small bits of hair algae but mainly only where reef roids settle on the rock structure I think gha loves that stuff more then the corals do. Ultimately if your corals look happy with good polyp extensions you’re doing good. .7 is getting high and I would probably think about running gfo to lower level but keep in mind every tank is different and not all levels are going to be the same across the board

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 128 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back