Coral food substitute

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently don’t have a ton of corals, but a decent amount. I broadcast AB+ every other day and use reef roids twice a week as my acans, bowers, symphyllia, and scoly respond really well to that. Even seems like my torches do too. But it cranks up my PO4. Is there something else I could use for the same response or a better way to control PO4? While my tank was fallow the PO4 went up to .061 (Hanna), almost doubled what was before. I just added two fair back in. I do a 10g WC every week on my 65g. I assume the AB+ is helping as my two SPS and zoas are doing really well.

Last edited:

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would target feed. I use reef roids too. A little goes a long way. Get a pipet with a bulb on it. And use that to target feed. I pause my wave maker for 20 minutes when I do this so the corals get the food and it just doesn’t fly around everywhere. Give it a try and see how it does.

Also once a week is probably fine. They can go a long time with light only as the energy source.

Something like this. Mine is glass and graduated but Amazon doesn’t sell glass stuff. Maybe try the LFS but if they don’t have it this one would work fine.

IMG_1288.png

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would target feed. I use reef roids too. A little goes a long way. Get a pipet with a bulb on it. And use that to target feed. I pause my wave maker for 20 minutes when I do this so the corals get the food and it just doesn’t fly around everywhere. Give it a try and see how it does.

Also once a week is probably fine. They can go a long time with light only as the energy source.

Something like this. Mine is glass and graduated but Amazon doesn’t sell glass stuff. Maybe try the LFS but if they don’t have it this one would work fine.

IMG_1288.png
I do target feed them and use that same pipet. I don’t turn the flow off. Didn’t think about that. I’ll give that a try and only do it once a week. Thanks!

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do target feed them and use that same pipet. I don’t turn the flow off. Didn’t think about that. I’ll give that a try and only do it once a week. Thanks!
Oh I misunderstood you saying you broadcast AB+ as broadcasting reef roids. I see that now.

I also have a 60 gallon. I have a small HOB refugium with chaeto that also helps. The simple refugium has greatly helped my reef tank so maybe consider that too.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always turn off the flow for sure it really helps. Then wait. When u turn it back on it will broadcast anything not eaten to the rest of the tank that you didn't target.

Theres also benereef which doesn't raise your PO4 or nitrates as much supposedly. I don't use it but it is supposed to help if u want to look into it.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I misunderstood you saying you broadcast AB+ as broadcasting reef roids. I see that now.

I also have a 60 gallon. I have a small HOB refugium with chaeto that also helps. The simple refugium has greatly helped my reef tank so maybe consider that too.
I was thinking of adding one, but I have a custom lid and my sump seems small. I did add an algae scrubber about a month ago and it’s still seeding. I was even thinking about a diy or a small HOB refugium on the sump.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always turn off the flow for sure it really helps. Then wait. When u turn it back on it will broadcast anything not eaten to the rest of the tank that you didn't target.

Theres also benereef which doesn't raise your PO4 or nitrates as much supposedly. I don't use it but it is supposed to help if u want to look into it.
I’ll have to look into it. I assumed it was similar to AB+ because it didn’t raise phosphates.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of adding one, but I have a custom lid and my sump seems small. I did add an algae scrubber about a month ago and it’s still seeding. I was even thinking about a diy or a small HOB refugium on the sump.
Yeah, you can easily make one out of any HOB filter. Just remove all the media and put a small piece of live rock and chaeto in it. I run two submersible LED’s on mine, but that’s just to keep the light out of my room. You could put a little light over the top of the HOB.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you can easily make one out of any HOB filter. Just remove all the media and put a small piece of live rock and chaeto in it. I run two submersible LED’s on mine, but that’s just to keep the light out of my room. You could put a little light over the top of the HOB.
That’s a really good idea and seems inexpensive.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a product made by Zeovit that supposedly adds no nitrates or phosphates (I haven't used it personally) but if you'd like I can find the name for you...

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No...it's their product called "Coral Vitalizer". They say it's a food source but adds no phosphates or nitrates.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back