Run a UV and Carbon Reactor while fallow?

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 65g tank is currently fallow from ich and it’s only been about a week. I’m planning to set up my UV that I initially picked up to manage the ich in the tank. However, I currently have a lot of GHA and diatoms. I also have a carbon reactor I can set up. If I set the UV up on low flow to kill free floating ich and run the carbon to get rid of the algae, would that be too much with only minimal corals and a nem? Or since it will be fallow for the full 76 days, should I just crank up the UV and hold off on the carbon?

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely run the UV and hold off on the carbon. When running fallow, pay close attention to your nutrients. The last time I had to run my tank fallow, I bottomed out my nutrients very quickly and didn't realize it until I got a small dino outbreak. I ended up ghost feeding my tank with some frozen food.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely run the UV and hold off on the carbon. When running fallow, pay close attention to your nutrients. The last time I had to run my tank fallow, I bottomed out my nutrients very quickly and didn't realize it until I got a small dino outbreak. I ended up ghost feeding my tank with some frozen food.
I've been using reef roids 1-2 time a week. I could throw in some frozen too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back