Rating - 0%
0   0   0

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be better to get a mixed jar, such as galaxy pods, or buy 4-5 jars of species-specific from algae barn, I forgot to add, that I don't have a refugium as my sump doesn't have a section for it. I could use return as a refuge and drill the acrylic for an external pump but i'd rather not
I would seed with a diverse group of them, but it would be best to get more that are demersal though.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The copepods need something to eat. That can be diatoms, excess fish food, phytoplankton and early stages of some algae.

Dosing the tanks with pods is great idea but how well they populate will depend on the food available and that will vary, always.

Try the minimum order from AB and see what happens in a couple of weeks. If you've got the food for them to survive they'll reproduce very quickly.

If you buy a captive bred mandarin they'll eat more than just pods.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wait a couple months before adding pods . Your tank is a new bearing waste land deprived of food sources that's going to go through some wild swings . Your success rate of getting a population established permanently will be greater if you wait a little while

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pod Killer was Filter Socks. I bought these, cut Snapped and Super Glue them into my Filter Socks. In the early morning glass is covered with Pods.
Aquatic Experts 4 inch Ring Filter Socks 200 Micron, Filter Socks for Saltwater Aquarium, Sump Filter Sock, Felt Aquarium Socks, Reef Filter Sock (4" x 10.5", 2 Pack)
https://a.co/d/ck70avU
Coghlan's Snap 'n Tap Grommets, 8-Pack, Blue/Black
https://a.co/d/5nluUqt

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to set up tank (110 gallons) and one of the fish I'm looking into is a mandarin dragonettes, but the copepod diet. Can i still have pods and mandarin with an uv sterilizer?
Yes, pods will be just fine. But if you intend to feed the pods phytoplankton on occasion, when you do that you will need to turn it off for maybe 30 to 45 minutes, because the up will kill the phytoplankton.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back