Uv sterilizer?

maroonclown65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to get much clearer water in my tank I just want very very clean and clear water, tank is an 18.5 gallon mixed reef been up for almost 2 years now. Don't really keep on top of testing as I haven't done that in over a year, also side note wondering what's the cheapest and most effective tests to find. But back to my main point, is it worth it to run a uv sterilizer in a tank so small? Is there a sterilizer that won't make me broke as well?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first try running carbon in your filter. Then there is something called polishing floss that also goes in a filter.

OP
OP
M

maroonclown65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first try running carbon in your filter. Then there is something called polishing floss that also goes in a filter.
I have carbon and that's done a pretty good job but I feel like it could be clearer, could you tell me more about polishing floss?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every couple of months id say, also, I just ordered a 25 micron pleated filter because someone said they greatly increase the waters clarity
Depending on your nutrient load you may need to change the carbon a bit more often. I change mine every other week. Just a better safe than sorry kind of preventive maintenance thing for me. I don't mind the expense of the carbon if it keeps my tank clear.

OP
OP
M

maroonclown65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your nutrient load you may need to change the carbon a bit more often. I change mine every other week. Just a better safe than sorry kind of preventive maintenance thing for me. I don't mind the expense of the carbon if it keeps my tank clear.
Ah okay I'll keep that in mind and start changing it more frequently, which carbon do you use?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do go with a uv I’ve read great reviews about this one.
668EAF89-6FDF-4CAA-9DEB-4A0AB5645043.png

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the cleanest clearest water possible- run a diatom filter to filter down to 1 micron.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay I'll keep that in mind and start changing it more frequently, which carbon do you use?
I currently use Marineland because I have it. But I do rinse it very thoroughly. Once this is gone, I will be switching to ROX 0.8. I have rad that it is a much better carbon.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back