Refugium Ideas

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping to get a Mandarin and a Melanurus wrasse for my 65g so I need a large pod population if the Mandarin won't eat frozen. This tank was upgraded from a 32g cube in November and I have a ton of pods, but I'm sure I will need more. I'm trying to figure out where I can put a refugium. My sump seems pretty small and I can't do a HOB on the display as I have a custom lid. Can I add a HOB refugium on my sump? Or if anyone has any other ideas, please feel free to share. Here is a photo of my sump.

Sump.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much room for fuge. The wrasse will eat all your pods. Socks are not good for pods either.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much room for fuge. The wrasse will eat all your pods. Socks are not good for pods either.
I was also considering taking out the sock and making that area a fuge. So is it not a good idea to have the wrasse and the mandarin? I was just looking at the Pod Hotel on BRS. Says you can leave it in the tank.

Quintin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping to get a Mandarin and a Melanurus wrasse for my 65g so I need a large pod population if the Mandarin won't eat frozen. This tank was upgraded from a 32g cube in November and I have a ton of pods, but I'm sure I will need more. I'm trying to figure out where I can put a refugium. My sump seems pretty small and I can't do a HOB on the display as I have a custom lid. Can I add a HOB refugium on my sump? Or if anyone has any other ideas, please feel free to share. Here is a photo of my sump.

Sump.jpg
Get yourself a Mandarin from Biota. Their ones eat frozen, flakes, masstick and the general pod population.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would that work? Are you talking about mounting it on the wall?
get a drilled or drillable tank put it on a shelf or stand behind or next to or above the tank feed it with a pump from inside the tank or sump (preferably tank) drain back to tank. It can be as small as 5g but bigger is better.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself a Mandarin from Biota. Their ones eat frozen, flakes, masstick and the general pod population.
Do they QT the fish? I've decided I no longer want to do that myself as it's a PIA and my wife is not to thrilled with multiple tanks. LOL

get a drilled or drillable tank put it on a shelf or stand behind or next to or above the tank feed it with a pump from inside the tank or sump (preferably tank) drain back to tank. It can be as small as 5g but bigger is better.
Oh okay. Not sure I have the room with the tanks placement.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they QT the fish? I've decided I no longer want to do that myself as it's a PIA and my wife is not to thrilled with multiple tanks. LOL

Biota breeds them. Should you qt probably, but its tank bred and if it doesnt go into other tanks first like at the lfs the possibility of infection is low.

Quintin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mandarin don’t carry the same risk of disease as other fish due to their natural slime coating but it’s generally recommended to quarantine anything you put in your tank.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin don’t carry the same risk of disease as other fish due to their natural slime coating but it’s generally recommended to quarantine anything you put in your tank.
I've found some that are QT'd at Marine Collectors. They just can't guarantee that they will eat frozen.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
custom made acrylic "tank" made to fit the right side of your sump area. you'll have more room if you move/reposition the sump to the back left corner to have more "shelf" room up front by the door, and more room for the custom "tank" for pods at the right

moving the sump will alter how your plumbing sits, but that's also an easy fix to accommodate for more room in the sump/under-tank area

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
custom made acrylic "tank" made to fit the right side of your sump area. you'll have more room if you move/reposition the sump to the back left corner to have more "shelf" room up front by the door, and more room for the custom "tank" for pods at the right

moving the sump will alter how your plumbing sits, but that's also an easy fix to accommodate for more room in the sump/under-tank area
That would be much easier. I need to fix some of the plumbing on the right as it's leaking back into the sump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back